Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

L shaped knee wall

I've built a knee wall 66"Lx44"h with an L thats 33"L. Right now the L shaped wall is just tacked in place and I can tell it's gonna be wobbly. I haven't put up the sheet rock yet just the rough framing. Do i need to go through the floor with a post at the corner of the L and anchor the post to the floor joist in the cellar? If so how do I do it? Then, do I need to go to the ceiling to anchor the other end or can I leave the post the height of the knee wall? Also, what kind of post do I get? Can I get one thats finished? If I go to the celing i'd need an 8' post and cut it to fit.

rootpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
SNC

Rewards Points: 75

L shaped knee wall

Run two 2x4s thru the floor at the end of the L and secure them to solid blocking between the floor joist.
You can also plywood one side of the wall with 1/2" plywood before you sheetrock it.
I always hate these kind of situations because there is no good solution for stand alone knee walls.

SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #3

L shaped knee wall

I've lag bolted the knee wall to the floor joists and it's taken quite a bit of the wobble out of the wall. I think with your sugestion of the plywood to the inside of the wall will finish the job. Thanks for your help. It'll be a while before I finish this project but I'll sent a few pics once my daughter tells me how to send pics from my phone lol.

Last edited by rootpass; 06-02-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

L shaped knee wall

You'll be surprised how much the drywall will stiffen the wall by itself, once both sides are hung. Especially if it is GLUED AND NAILED/SCREWED as it should be. The glue is an important part of the process. I also generally run 1/2" threaded rod(s) through the floor with large washers and bolts top and bottom of the floor and the wall.....
Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #5

L shaped knee wall

thanks bj I didn't think about glue. I think I'll glue AND put up 1/2" plywood on the inside. Then screw the whole thing.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

L shaped knee wall

What is the knee wall for?
If it gets cabinets don't stiffen anything.

Does it get some type of decorative wood working to cap it off?
If so, construct it in such a way that it will stiffen things up.
jordy3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

L shaped knee wall

The plywood definitely won't hurt if wall thickness isn't an issue! Best of luck with it.