Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
harleyd1369

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

knotty pine paneling

Hi,

I am new here and new to home improvement. I want to install knotty pine paneling at a 45 degree angle over existing wall covering. What is the best way to attach it (adhesive or brads or a combination of both) and what would be the best way to bring the electrical outlets and switch plates flush with the new paneling. As I say I am relatively new to this. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

harleyd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:11 AM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 4

knotty pine paneling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyd1369 View Post
Hi,

I am new here and new to home improvement. I want to install knotty pine paneling at a 45 degree angle over existing wall covering. What is the best way to attach it (adhesive or brads or a combination of both) and what would be the best way to bring the electrical outlets and switch plates flush with the new paneling. As I say I am relatively new to this. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nail into the tongue. I have a wall done in 45 degree knotty pine tongue and grove carsiding. I also have the ceiling in that room done in it also. I'm not sure what your talking about if it isn't tongue and grove knotty pine also refered to as carsiding. I found a pic on another forum of carsiding. This is exactly what the ceiling in my den is done in i also have a wall done in that at a 45 and another wall done in that running the same dirrection in that pic. Its a wall that seperates my den from my utility room. Finally there was a debate on this forum whether or not this is carsiding one guy said it wasn't that guy doesn't no what he is talking about because this is definately carsiding here in Illinois. Here is the pic from another forum. http://drywallinfo.com/images/boysroom.jpg

Last edited by 747; 11-19-2006 at 03:36 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
General Contractor

knotty pine paneling

You can do both, but for sure, nail it. I have seen a guy recently use a contact cement to install it, but the problem is humidity changes cauase the pine to bow or flex, it would pop the paper off the drywall it is glued to, so nailing would be best.

Another thing is let the material set in your home, in a heated room, for a week or two before intall, so the material will acclimate amd you won't have tight joints when you put it up, and a week later, see lines opening up.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #4

knotty pine paneling

You can get sleeves for your electrical boxes that will adust to the added wall thickness and should be used to keep the plugs away from the new wood. I would also recommend that you wrap the plug with electrical tape to cover the wire and screws.

Definately nail you siding to existing studs. If you are using tongue and groove you can 'blind nail' the tougue and the following piece will hide the nail

good luck
mcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote