Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

Knotty Pine

I am going to be finishing my currently unfinished basement and I would like to do knotty pine for a "cabin look".

Are there any special considerations for installing knotty pine planks....tongue and groove type?

I know I nee dto let them acclimate to the basement temperature for at least 24 hours before installing? To minimize the effects of shrinking or expanding...right?

Also, do I NEED to seal the knotty pine for interior use or can I just install naturally?

If I need to seal can someone please tell me the procedures for this...

Thanks in advance!

Mike
mgortel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #2

Knotty Pine

Knots will bleed through paint unless sealed (may still do so after sealing at times). I imagine you want it to be natural otherwise why use it? A polyurethane would likely do fine as a finish. Might wait more than 24 hours for acclimation; more the humidity than temperature acclimation is needed. I have no clue how long it takes for 1/2" thick wood to reach equilibrium with room humidity but I would think days.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #3

Knotty Pine

Mike,
I use knotty pine in basements for accent walls and wrapping main heat trunks and cold air returns. I usually stain and varnish it. I stain the boards ahead of time on horses, install them with a finish nail gun, and then varnish, two coats. Here's a couple of pics of my own basement, and shop.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Knotty Pine-img_3494.jpg   Knotty Pine-img_4377.jpg   Knotty Pine-img_4379.jpg   Knotty Pine-img_3634.jpg  
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

Knotty Pine

Very nice looking.

So what color stain is it that you used? What type of varnish? Polyurethane?

Do I need to sand the planks or seal them?

Thanks again!
mgortel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #5

Knotty Pine

Mg,
I wouldn't try to sand the wood. It's a #2 grade, which with pine, you gets knots, some spots smooth, some a little rough. The stain is Sherwin Williams house brand, Woodscapes. It's an oil-based, somewhat thicker bodied stain than minwax. The basement was a premix color, golden oak. the shop was custom mixed, looks like a light butterscotch. I just wanted to lightly tint the wood to make it similar in tone. The bare wood had a range of color from white to pink. The varnish was from SW also. Satin finish, two coats. It's a quick dry, about 30 minutes to the touch. Pretty easy to use. T & G knotty pine is fun to work with. Pretty easy job if you are handy.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #6

Knotty Pine

dude...your shop is BA.
blam is offline   Reply With Quote