Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Knock-down fasteners

All,

In the next couple of weeks I am going to be remodelling a walk-in closet and a pantry, and would like to create a system something similar to what the big companies offer using pre-drilled panels and the cam-style knock down fittings. Unfortunately none of the pre-fabbed systems will work straight out of the box, as the shelves are always too narrow etc.

The problem is that I can't find a source for the knockdown fittings. I probably can't name a manufacturer, so I'll describe the fitting instead. It has a pin which you screw into the pre-drilled upright holes, and then there is a cam-type fitting that fits into a hole in the shelf. The particular design I would like to use permits the shelf to be slotted onto the pins from above. The manufacturer only sells wholesale, and no re-sellers stock the part in quantities smaller than ~500.

I guess if I can't source these fittings then I'll just have to use biscuits, but then I'm stuck with a particular configuration and can't assemble in-situ (access in the rooms is awkward, and would prefer in-situ assembly).

Another problem is that one of the walls in the pantry is at 45 degrees, so some kind of locking shelf pins would be required if I wanted to have adjustable shelves.

I guess I could also buy the pre-fab kits just for the fasteners, but that seems kinda stoopid too.

Anyone have any ideas / alternatives?

Cheers
Chris

spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Knock-down fasteners

Chris,
How about using metal shelf standards?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1348

Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Experienced

Knock-down fasteners

Did you try and contact I**a, not 100% sure, but I believe they sell those over the service counter.

Or

Try this - http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm?Gr...206&showprod=1

Last edited by Jackofall1; 01-25-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #4

Knock-down fasteners

Jackofall1,

Perfect! I've never come across that Woodworkers hardware site before, but it's fantastic. Those connectors are exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I don't want to use normal shelf standards is because one of the walls is at 45 degrees so if the shelf gets nudged it could possibly fall off the standards altogether.

Thanks
Chris
spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closet, fasteners, knockdown, shelving