Knee Wall Door? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Knee wall door?

I am finishing my upstairs and am trying to figure out my options with the access door through my knee walls... Is there such a thing as a "pre-hung" half door that comes ready to install? Or do I have to cut it off myself?

What are my options and how do i go about do them...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...

Scott

Advertisement

luner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Knee wall door?

Posted this on the other forum for you too:

There are no standard sized doors of such a dimension that you describe. We have always just fabricated our own doors for such a specific use.

We have also salvaged existing solid wood doors to match a home's existing doors.... and cut them down in the wood shop, moved the hinges and installed a ball/latch mechanism at the top. Here's a pic example:

If you do cut down a door, you will most likely need to move the hinges (if it's a pre-hung door) and use a solid wood door, not one of those MDF or luan doors with nothing inside. You can still use an MDF or luan, but you need to install a solid piece of end stock to fill in the empty area of the panel....Also, if the knee wall is not insulated, then you will want to attach some rigid foam board in the inside facing the roof area and also weather stripping around the door frame to keep the cold out...
Last edited by AtlanticWBConst. : Today at 12:16 PM.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-26-2007 at 12:49 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Knee wall door?

Is the openning a normal door width ? The rough openning for a 24" door is 26 1/2...It can be a LiL smaller than 26 1/2...cutting a hollow door's height down is easy..Take the door off the jamb and mark the TOP of the door so you don't cut it off by accident, cut the bottom of both jambs to fit the openning and have the header be level, decide on how long you need the door to be, mark, scrib and cut the BOTTOM of the door, there is a wood block that solidifies the bottom of the door that you just cut off, skin the block with a planner until it fits in the new bottom of the door, glue and put this block back in....If it was a 3 hinge door you might not have to even have to re-hinge it...
VA Beach Trimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Knee wall door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luner99 View Post
I am finishing my upstairs and am trying to figure out my options with the access door through my knee walls... Is there such a thing as a "pre-hung" half door that comes ready to install? Or do I have to cut it off myself?

What are my options and how do i go about do them...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...

Scott
Scott,

Where I'm from you can get any size prehung door you want made from a lumberyard. If you want a 2' door, you make the rough opening 2" bigger at 2' 2". I just framed an addition on mt friends house and there are 5 doors that are in kneewalls and he's having them made.

Call a lumberyard and see what they say. They're not cheap but they can be done.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 04-09-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Knee wall door?

I have only ever made them. Here is a picture of my most recent one.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Knee wall door?

Brik's door reminds me of this:

We did this one (underneath the stairs)- last month in a basement remodel. (It is missing one knob) It is MDF... not painted yet.
It is attached with Piano hinges on each side. Opening was jambed and cased-in prior to installing the door and hinges.

Here is another pic. of a door we did in a second floor new home. This was essentially a 5' high knee wall. The door was fabricated to 'blend in' with the bead-board decor. We used a Piano hinge set-up on one side. (Baseboard was not installed yet at time of pic)

Advertisement