Kitchen Floating Floor - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen floating floor

I was considering starting a project in my kitchen. Basically for some stupid reason the walls have Formica on them, and the floor is a big vinyl sticker or something. Anyway i was considering a pergo type floor. My question is, is it complicated to install and how expensive is it on average per square foot. I know what im doing when it comes to almost any aspect of carpentry, but i never installed a floating floor. I have worked on standard hardwood floors but i am not sure how pergo works. Any help is appreciated, the kitchen is about 13x14 or so.

Advertisement

JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

Kitchen floating floor

ITs fairly simple. The pieces lock together. You stagger the joints, but you dont have to stagger them any specific way, because the pattern on them hides the seems. If doing it in the kitchen, choose the product that holds up to water the best.

Advertisement

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen floating floor

In the kitchen you want to use the glue together flooring, not the interlocking type. Prices range from about $2-4.00 a sq. ft. for the flooring but you will also need the cushioned underlayment, maybe a vapor barrier. What you need will be dependant on what you have now. You can spend more for the flooring if you want. Or less with a closeout. Go to any local flooring place and see what you like. Or shop online.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen floating floor

I put a floating laminate floor in our kitchen. I used an interlocking product from Armstrong that looks like slate. This particular type already had the cushioned underlayment attached. It wasn't cheap at around 4 bucks a sq foot, but it looks good and has held up great for several years. After I finished the floor, I had some scraps laying outside for months. Even after being exposed to the weather, the pieces looked good as new. I have no doubt this floor can stand up to the abuse of kitchen use.
ACobra289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Kitchen floating floor

I installed click pergo 2 years ago for a client and was over the other day for some new work coming up and it looked the same as it did when I installed it. I would think the glued would be more waterproof though.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote