Kitchen Cabinets In Garage Install - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Kitchen Cabinets in Garage Install

Hi, thanks for your time!

I recently pulled out the old kitchen cabinets and wanted to reuse them in our garage. I wanted to know how I should install them in the garage.

Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/Jim.Mac...eat=directlink

My first thought would be to build a platform, out of the pavers or 2x4s and screw into the wall, but we occasionally rinse the floors with a hose, so I'm not sure if that is the best approach. I don't need it to be pretty, it'll mostly be used for folding clothes and as workspace in the garage. Thanks again for the help!

Advertisement

jimbriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Anything that will keep the water away will work.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
jimbriam (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 680

Any way you can use a leaf blower instead of a hose to clean it out?

If not then a simple sleeper system of pressure treated 2 X 4's laying flat on the floor should be fine. Just make sure there's support under all the sides of the boxes. I'd put a bead of silicone under the 2 X 4's. and Tap Con them in place.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jimbriam (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

Cut off the toe kick height if they have them. use plastic lumber (trex decking or the like) with notches cut in the bottom and make a frame on the floor, the notches are to allow drainage. Really only need say 3" every place where cabinet sides come to floor, think about how the weight from shelves is transferred to the floor. in contact with floor.Cut notches 1/4" high. Place cabinets on top and screw into place.

or use some form of spacer, Bricks in the 4 corners of each cabinet glued down with proper adhesive, 4" pieces of 4x4 treated, or ???

Have some tarp or heavy plastic to cover the cabinets when you are hosing, could make it a curtain the drops down from ceiling, keep it say 2" off the floor.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
jimbriam (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Cut off the toe kick height if they have them. use plastic lumber (trex decking or the like) with notches cut in the bottom and make a frame on the floor, the notches are to allow drainage. Really only need say 3" every place where cabinet sides come to floor, think about how the weight from shelves is transferred to the floor. in contact with floor.Cut notches 1/4" high. Place cabinets on top and screw into place.

or use some form of spacer, Bricks in the 4 corners of each cabinet glued down with proper adhesive, 4" pieces of 4x4 treated, or ???

Have some tarp or heavy plastic to cover the cabinets when you are hosing, could make it a curtain the drops down from ceiling, keep it say 2" off the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any way you can use a leaf blower instead of a hose to clean it out?

If not then a simple sleeper system of pressure treated 2 X 4's laying flat on the floor should be fine. Just make sure there's support under all the sides of the boxes. I'd put a bead of silicone under the 2 X 4's. and Tap Con them in place.
Thanks for the replies!

If it were only me doing the cleaning, I would take the time to use a leaf blower but (un/)fortunately I'm not the only one doing the cleaning. I like the pressure treated idea, I haven't had the opportunity to work with plastic lumber. Safe to assume it would cost more than PT wood?

The tarp is a good idea for the eventual overspray from the hose. I think just draping it over the cabinets will work, as opposed to hanging it from the ceiling.

Thanks again!
jimbriam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbriam For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (04-11-2012)

Tags
cabinets , garage