Kitchen Cabinet Doors - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen cabinet doors

I have just sanded my cabinet doors in the kitchen that used to be painted white and I want to stain them, I plan to use the exsisting door handle hole on the cabinet doors. But each cabinet door has old holes from the old door handles, and was filled in with some kind of wood filler that does not stain well at all. How do I go about fixing this?

Advertisement

LOUSY CARPENTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen cabinet doors

Dig out the old junk a neatly as you can. A stainable filler can be made from sawdust from the same doors, and HIDE glue (only hide glue!). Hide glue is about the only glue that will take stains...... and sometimes the match still isn't all that good. Refill the holes with your homemade putty, and sand it smooth. Then try playing with stains. Sometimes several different hues of stain used with a tiny artist's brush can help you match grain patterns. You gotta get creative here.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen cabinet doors

If trying to match the stain isn't working, you can always buy cover plates to use behind the handles. most stores selling handles have these
plates, they come in several styles and finishes..
frazierdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen cabinet doors

I have had pretty good luck using "Plastic Wood" it can be bought in different colors and takes stain fairly good. I have been using the natural on oak and it does a good job. They also make some marker pens in different wood stains. So if you need to touch up the stain this might be an option. Steve
sawduststeve is offline   Reply With Quote