Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Weekend Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Cabinet Broken

Hello,

I have a 6 year old kitchen made of thermoplastic. This year one of the doors broke off ( ) for no apparent reason. What can I do to reattach the hinge to the door so that I can put it back up. Part of the problem is the size of the door, so it is under a lot of pressure.

Here is a picture of the opening, you can see it is a hinged (articulating I think it is called) door, not just a simple hinge.

Here is also a picture of where the hinge attachment was.. 2 shots..
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Cabinet Broken-kitchen-door-opening.jpg   Kitchen Cabinet Broken-january-march-08-193.jpg   Kitchen Cabinet Broken-january-march-08-194.jpg  

Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Kitchen Cabinet Broken

Since the material is MCP panel, or TFM, only thing I can think of is to carefully drill those holes oversized and glue dowels into them, once set re drill for the screws. More than likely they are 5mm Euro screws.
Use a forstner bit to drill the holes BE SUPER CAREFUL so u dont breakthru the face.

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
BuilderRemodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Cabinet Broken

Dowells sound like the a good choice.

Redneck method may work also and might be worth trying... I'm not recommending this but have seen it work on regular house door hinges and last for many many years.

Be very very carefull - Place masking tape to keep your cabinets clean around area prior.

Then use Premium subfloor adhesive in the area where the screws came loose and attach the cabinet portion of the hinges exactly where they need to be. After it is completely dry re-attach your door.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Finish Carpentry Pro

Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen Cabinet Broken

You could try something like this out. http://www.dri-sil.co.uk/driplate.html
Quiglag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Kitchen Cabinet Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrands View Post
Dowells sound like the a good choice.

Redneck method may work also and might be worth trying... I'm not recommending this but have seen it work on regular house door hinges and last for many many years.

Be very very carefull - Place masking tape to keep your cabinets clean around area prior.

Then use Premium subfloor adhesive in the area where the screws came loose and attach the cabinet portion of the hinges exactly where they need to be. After it is completely dry re-attach your door.
. Ouch.... I'd stick with skymasters method over this for sure. Definatley a forstner bit, preferrably in a drill press, but can be done carefully by hand. Rather than fighting to trim a dowel flush without damaging the door skin, I have glued in flat headed plug. It generally takes a 3/8" sometimes 1/2" diameter to get beyond the damaged area.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-27-2008 at 09:43 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote