Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Pro Painter

Share |

Joists to level floor

I'm a painter by trade but am doing some other work on my own house.
Laying marble in the kitchen, saw that someone sistered joists already, but it's a hack job.

The outside walls are cinder block and appear to have been chiseled for the existing joists. Then someone went in and tried to sister a couple of them, but can't get new joists on the one supporting wall. So they just ran them from the I-beam and stopped short of the other wall. It's only a 12' span. I'm wondering if there is an acceptable way to deal with this without lolly's or chipping the cinder block? If not, I think I'd rather deal with the cinder block.

Looks like 2 joists need to be sistered properly Where the floor from one room with diagonal 6by meets plywood. Any advice appreciated.

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Joists to level floor

post some pictures

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
DIY staff

Joists to level floor

It would have been better if both ends of the sistered joists were supported--it is not absolutely necessary---

The end supported by the existing joist should be strong enough if the two joists are fastened together properly.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Joists to level floor

That technique is pretty common with concrete block (cinder block is made from cinders, and hasn't been used for probably 100 years). Since the end of a joist is in shear only (essentially no bending moment on the ends), and joists almost never fail in shear, it is almost always OK to sister the existing joists between the supporting walls and not actually support the sistered joist at the wall. Of course if the existing joist is rotten on the ends, that is a totally different matter.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
DIYRemodeler (02-24-2014), Windows on Wash (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Pro Painter

Joists to level floor

Thanks guys. I'm installing about another 700lbs. of tile on the floor above, which brought this about. Support on one end is what the last person did, but the floor is not level enough for marble. Not sure they used a lolly or a level. The wood is all in good shape. Mostly old, hard pine, couple of newer boards in there. New one's (8") don't seem to be quite as wide as the old ones. Same with the one's I bought. Shims?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
DIY staff

Joists to level floor

How far off is it? Self leveling compound might be the answer---however,if the subfloor needs to be replaced---remove the bad sisters and re-do it correctly---or add sisters to the other side of the joists---(that will look like hell) but will be strong---
Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
Pro Painter

Joists to level floor

Pulling the sheet goods and durock today. I see from underside that part of the subfloor is planks and part is plywood. Guessing that the difference in thickness is the problem. Hope so at least.