Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

Joining wood using pocket holes (2 methods)

Doesn't using a countersink drill bit create the same effect (and bond) versus using a pocket hole jig (like kreg).

I agree the jig would give one consistent angles, but does the consistent of angles matter across projects?

i am thinking that the countersink drill bit, lets me drill the hole and use whatever screw i want! i am not forced to use Kreg screws (or are Kreg screws really that superior)

Cost wise - the drill bit is $5, the jig say r3 is $45

Am i missing something?

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Try it and see how it works.
You will soon find that angle, the drill guide bushing, depth gauge and the bullet point drill bit are all key components.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

I've tried it....but the effort to get it right is makes the $45 Kreg kit seem cheap.

Two main problems....

1. If you get the angle off or the depth incorrect, you stand a good chance of the screw tip busting out the other side.

2. Kreg uses a special drill bit and special screws. The bit gives the bottom of the hole very little camber and the screws are flat. This way you don't have a wedge action to split the wood. If you use the equivalent of a flat head screw, you will split the hole every time.

My pocket hole jig and biscuit cutter are two of my most important wood working tools.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 420

Also a lot easier to keep the finish face fairly even. Easier to predrill when pieces are not meant to meet in a plane.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 260

mmm - seems like a jig is a no brainer because its hassle free
Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitabh View Post
mmm - seems like a jig is a no brainer because its hassle free
The get started price for a Kreg Pocket Hole Kit is $19.97
This one hole jig is not for building stuff but mostly for repairing stuff.
The criticism that I have for the lower cost Kits is that they do not include a face clamp which I consider essential for holding the one or two hole Kits in place against the material being drilled.
The Kreg Mini Jig(for regular size Kreg pocket screws) is ~ $20
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kreg-Mini...JKIT/100375609
The basic Kreg Face Clamp is ~ $20-$22
But for a starter, a Locking clamp with Swivel Pads can be used.
Pocket screws from Kreg with #7 shank are commonly available
but McFeely's has a large selection in #6 pocket screws with free shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Joining wood using pocket holes (2 methods)-kreg-basic-athd.png   Joining wood using pocket holes (2 methods)-kreg-clamp.png   Joining wood using pocket holes (2 methods)-k-swivel-faceclamp.png  
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 746

I have tried the kreg jig and pocket hole machines.I ,in the end found very little use for them.They are not needed for gluing panels together.I don't like them for face frames .There are better methods.I sure the hell would not use them for doors or drawers and there are better methods for attaching face frames to cabinets
On the other hand I have found several uses for biscuit joinery.One being attaching face frames to cabinetry with an invisible joint.I would not use them in most applications but find them more usable than pocket screws in most applications.
I am an old school woodworker an prefer mortise and tenons or cope and stick but feel that biscuits are more useful than pocket screws overall.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I agree, pocket screws just are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.
They have limited uses, however I when I do use them I would not go any other way then to use a jig. To me, it's worth the coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I have tried the kreg jig and pocket hole machines.I ,in the end found very little use for them.They are not needed for gluing panels together.I don't like them for face frames .There are better methods.I sure the hell would not use them for doors or drawers and there are better methods for attaching face frames to cabinets
On the other hand I have found several uses for biscuit joinery.One being attaching face frames to cabinetry with an invisible joint.I would not use them in most applications but find them more usable than pocket screws in most applications.
I am an old school woodworker an prefer mortise and tenons or cope and stick but feel that biscuits are more useful than pocket screws overall.
uncommon doors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uncommon doors For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon doors View Post
I agree, pocket screws just are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.
They have limited uses, however I when I do use them I would not go any other way then to use a jig. To me, it's worth the coin.
I'm inclined to think you're doing it wrong.

I can't imagine building up a face frame now without using pocket screws. It lets me assemble everything....once I'm happy with it....take it apart....stain the pieces....then re-assemble while also gluing.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,470

Kreg makes non wood working dads shine when a sturdy loft bed can be built for his little girl and the boys have to pay for the privilege of being up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Joining wood using pocket holes (2 methods)-loft-b.jpg  
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
garlicbreath (06-26-2014), Joshual11 (06-19-2014), PaliBob (06-19-2014), REXAMUS (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

I'm little nervous about the bunk bed. Pocket hole framing wasn't meant for carrying such a load. Are you sure about that?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,100

Bench, bunk beds, picnic tables, cabinets, you name it, they are all safe if done right.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (06-19-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #13

I admit my furnitures tend to be bunker like.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 518

Pocket holes have their place. If you're a beginner, making kids furniture, need to make a lot of stuff quickly, they're great.

They have no place in fine furniture, or anything that's meant to be multi-generational. That's where mortise and tenon, dovetail, rabbet, and other forms of joinery come in to play.

I don't have one, but I've heard if you need it, the Kreg jig is the only way to go too.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

As a stairbuilder i use it to assemble the risers to the back of the treads from behind, all prefabricated. Can't beat the hidden fasteners, and they make a squeak less stair everytime. I have since found multiple uses for it for things around the shop. I believe i am not alone in saying that the $45 price tag is worth it.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertyme For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (06-24-2014)