Joining Two Beams On A Post - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

joining two beams on a post

In building my patio cover with three posts and two beams, how do I join two 4" x 10" beams at the center post? Also, the two beams will be meeting at an obtuse angle (about 140 degrees).

Advertisement

bengreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

i would do it as a 3 ply 2x10 beam instead of 4x10. this way you can offset each joint so you can through nail while alternating how each ply lays.. it will make is stronger. also you can get skewed connectors. a simpson strong tie LA-90 should do it.. its almost the same as a L-90 except you can set angle it to whatever angle you need. this is use in conjunction with regular fastening

if you still are going to use 4x10 use lag bolts

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

I’d have a post to beam cap fabricated and send it to the galvanizer.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

maybe a half lap joint with diagonal braces. how big are the posts?
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooworkbykirk View Post
i would do it as a 3 ply 2x10 beam instead of 4x10. this way you can offset each joint so you can through nail while alternating how each ply lays.. it will make is stronger. also you can get skewed connectors. a simpson strong tie LA-90 should do it.. its almost the same as a L-90 except you can set angle it to whatever angle you need. this is use in conjunction with regular fastening

if you still are going to use 4x10 use lag bolts
Thatís all fine but how are you connecting the beam to the post?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Without a diagram, it is difficult to visualize exactly what you are doing. However, it is unusual in residential framing to connect two beams over a post, generally each beam rests on the post via a notch, and the beams are not connected, i.e. they are independently supported. By independently supporting the beams, you have a simple beam connection. If you actually connect the beams together over the post, you have an indeterminate connection, which leads to complex loads on the beams.

Beams that are simply connected have zero bending moment at the post, while beams that are continuous over the post experience negative moment over the post, which is not usually accounted for in standard design tables. I suggest you consider the previous suggestion of using a Simpson type connector, which will allow each beam to be independently supported. Of course, I am assuming you got the beams designed, hopefully you are not guessing at the required size of the beams. There are unlikely to be any standard tables for your design, so this leads to wonder, if you got the beams designed, why did the designer leave out the crucial detail of how to support them?

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote