Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Joining Several Hollow Core Doors

I was wondering if anyone could suggest how I could go about joining three hollow core doors together (creating one longer panel) to use as a room divider. I don't really want to have any spaces between the doors.

They will be used as a room divider fitting snugly between two wardrobes. One side of the "wall" will be the head of a bed, the other side a desk. This will provide support for the first 28" from the floor, however, I'd like to also attach them to the wardrobes so that the entire lot is stable and secure.

Any suggestion you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

JustPamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

biscuit joinery
steel brackets if you don't have a biscuit joiner

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I will say from the get go I am not saying your idea is wrong and I have no real experience with bisquit joinery..

Are they really that strong?

and would they work on a hollow core door? because they are hollow.

Not debating just learning
canyonbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #4

No biscuit joinery for me, I'm afraid. My DIY skills are ridiculously limited. If I use steel brackets, am I limited in the length I use? As they are hollow core doors, I'm assuming that only the outer perimeter is actually solid (and that attaching brackets to the hollow portion isn't going to work). Can you provide more specifics?

I'm terribly sorry for the detailed questions, but as I said, my skills are extremely limited, so explicit instructions would be very helpful.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
PHB Construction LLC

Rewards Points: 75

There is "wood" in the sides of the hollow core doors to attach the prospective hinges and striker plates for a normal application. Biscuit joinery requires a relatively expensive tool (biscuit joiner) and of course the biscuits and glue. They also need to be clamped together during the curing of the glue. I'm assuming that you are using the doors because they are laying around and a quick wall. Be reminded that they are hollow and any fastening to them is a exercise in futility.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Cabinet maker

Since you don't want to use much power tools;

How about you nail or screw a strip of wood along the top and bottom of all three doors along with some construction adhesive between the doors and under the wood strips?
Augie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #7

Augie: That was exactly my initial thought, but I wasn't how feasible that was.

Paulie: When you say "any fastening to them is a exercise in futility" you're talking about attaching anything to the doors once they are joined together (i.e. trying to hang a picture or mirror). This makes sense to me but thanks for pointing that out. If I've misinterpreted your post, let me know!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Cabinet maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPamela View Post
I don't think you can in much trouble with it.

Fastening the panel to the things that are going to hold them up would be a test for you. If you could post a picture or two we could help with how to handle that.
Augie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
PHB Construction LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPamela View Post

Paulie: When you say "any fastening to them is a exercise in futility" you're talking about attaching anything to the doors once they are joined together (i.e. trying to hang a picture or mirror). This makes sense to me but thanks for pointing that out. If I've misinterpreted your post, let me know!
No, you've haven't misinterpreted. Your right on the point. It's my fault I should have been clearer. The face of the door is 1/8" thick Luann and has little strength to hold up a mirror.

Hello Gus I mean Auggie.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #10

I've attached a .pdf of a couple of (very rough) drawings -- that also aren't to scale, in case you wondered!

As you can see in the straight on view on the second page, I had contemplated some sort of strips running horizontally to hold the lot together, envisioning that they'd also be attached to the wardrobes for added support. I had even considered something like doweling, which would not be attached to the doors, but could be attached to the wardrobes on either side by drilling through the wardrobe from the inside, into the center of the doweling. However, I'm not certain that that would be particularly sturdy.

More thoughts, now that you've seen the drawings?Layout2.pdf
Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #11

And if it factors into the equation (or solution) in any way, the wardrobes are particle board, are heavy as heck and require two (or more) people to move -- so they're very stable.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #12

Sorry to keep posting without waiting for a reply...

But it just occurred to me, if the doors are a snug fit between the two wardrobes (and they are, in fact, the doors may even need to be planed/sanded lightly to fit) -- could I just screw the sides directly to the wardrobe? And then in addition to that, use metal brackets along the top and bottom edges for additional support?

Would this be stable and safe if, as I've said, the wall has furniture (28" high on either side) supporting it as well?

(I'd hate to kill a sleeping house guest.. well most house guests, anyway!)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Do you have the tools/skills to build some 'U' shaped pieces using a 2 x 2 as the bottom and 1 x 4's as the uprights?
You would need a couple of screws to hold the 1 x 4 to the 2 x 2's.
Then build one for the top, bottom and sides and 'picture frame' the doors, connecting the U frames to the doors on top/bottom and to the wardrobes on the sides.
Attached Images

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

piano hinges come in long lengths
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #15

Check the stiles of the doors; are the fingerjointed (wood) or fiberwood (a type of compressed fiber)? This will help determine the strength of the bond between the 3 doors. Fingerjointed stiles will be more sturdy than the fiberwood.

Most stiles on a slab door is about 1" to 3/4" thick after sizing. An easy way top tell is look at the top/bottom of the door, you should be able to see the stile of the door. What you see will be the thickness of what will be holding the doors together. I do not think a biscuit joiner will work; not enough to grab onto.

My suggestion is to apply a good wood glue between the 3 doors and find a decorative casing to tie all three doors together at the top/bottoms and sides if you wanted. you can nail the casing to the top rails of the 3 doors. The glue and casing should provide enough holding power. If you do not want the casing to show, put it on the back assuming the back will not be seen.

Hope this helps.

stevesandsons is offline   Reply With Quote