Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

Jig for cutting Crown

I have seen a coulple different jigs for cutting crown moulding and was wondering if they are worth purchasing. They are the ones that hold the crown at the appropriate angle so you can cut the 45. Has anyone ever used one of these, and how well did it work?
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #2

Jig for cutting Crown

if you are talking about a miter box, do yourself a favor and rent a saw. If you are talking about the little adjustable feet that go on a miter saw to hold the crown in place, I have some and I like them. I bought them from a friend, so I dont have part #s or anything. I have a Dewalt 12" slider. I comes with threaded holes in the side of it just for these things.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #3

Jig for cutting Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
if you are talking about a miter box, do yourself a favor and rent a saw. If you are talking about the little adjustable feet that go on a miter saw to hold the crown in place, I have some and I like them. I bought them from a friend, so I dont have part #s or anything. I have a Dewalt 12" slider. I comes with threaded holes in the side of it just for these things.

Yes those little feet are one option, the one I ended up going with was called the crown cut. I picked it up at lowes for $34. I tried it out when I got home tonight and it works pretty well. I tried a couple practice cuts and coped for the inside corner and they turned out really nice.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #4

Jig for cutting Crown

www.cutncrown.com
joe3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #5

Jig for cutting Crown

I have installed a lot of crown and have used jigs to get the right angle.
The problem is that no house has a perfectly square room. A perfect 45 degree angle just wont work. When it does work, the joints come apart as wood expands and contracts. What I have found works the best is to cut my 45 on my chop saw (with or without a jig) than I cope the joint. You can square cut alternating corners so the cutting goes quickly. Coping takes a while when you first get started, but you pick up the pace the more you do.

Coping gives you a perfect fit even if the room is out of square and the joints dont pull apart as the temperature changes. Any jig that I use (shop-made or store bought) helps to keep the crown at the correct angle in the saw when I cut my 45. It makes the whole setup go faster. SInce I can square cut the opposite ends, it makes up for the time lost to coping. Hope that helps
kszpindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #6

Jig for cutting Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kszpindor View Post
I have installed a lot of crown and have used jigs to get the right angle.
The problem is that no house has a perfectly square room. A perfect 45 degree angle just wont work. When it does work, the joints come apart as wood expands and contracts. What I have found works the best is to cut my 45 on my chop saw (with or without a jig) than I cope the joint. You can square cut alternating corners so the cutting goes quickly. Coping takes a while when you first get started, but you pick up the pace the more you do.

Coping gives you a perfect fit even if the room is out of square and the joints dont pull apart as the temperature changes. Any jig that I use (shop-made or store bought) helps to keep the crown at the correct angle in the saw when I cut my 45. It makes the whole setup go faster. SInce I can square cut the opposite ends, it makes up for the time lost to coping. Hope that helps

Those are my thoughts exactly. I planned on coping the corners, but was using the jig just to keep the initial cut at the correct angle. Coping is definitely the way to go. I did a couple practice pieces and seem to have the hag of it. Thanks for the response.