Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #1

Share |

Intersection between chair rail and quarter round

I am in the process of installing molding in our dining room. We would like to install a simple chair rail around the room with quarter round molding in each of the corners. I've seen photos (although I cannot find them now) where the quarter round molding "keys" into the chair rail very nicely. Is anyone else familiar with this? If so, how is it done?
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Why would you need 1/4 round in the corners? It would seem to be an inelegant addition to the chair rail.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

I'm not quite following (or picturing in my mind) either. A picture/drawing would certainly help...
Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

The intersection of two solids is handled in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_geometry
but the easy way is to make cardboard mockups and cut them until you get the desired intersection.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Wow! I'll be sure to bookmark that. I (and I'm sure Ron6519) was referring to a drawing of how the O.P. intended to use the quarter round in the "scheme" of things. It really doesn't seem to be necessary to use trim in the corners.....
Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #6

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great responses.To answer the why question, I guess I left something out, there is also wainscoting involved. The purpose of the quarter round is to compensate for some irregularities in the old walls of the house that are more obvious with the wainscoting. So, any additional thoughts?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
Wow! Thanks everyone for the great responses.To answer the why question, I guess I left something out, there is also wainscoting involved. The purpose of the quarter round is to compensate for some irregularities in the old walls of the house that are more obvious with the wainscoting. So, any additional thoughts?
You would want to scribe the wainscotting panel to the corners irregulaities. Covering up a poorly fit panel with extra pieces of trim just makes the job look cumbersome.
Ron
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #8

Ron- Thanks. I used the MDF prepainted panels, like 1/4" thick. I actually scribed the corners, but they just don't look right. Any sort of corner molding would work, but I am going to need something to pull this together.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #9

You could try two pieces of lattice. It's a flat piece of wood 1/4" thick and varying widths. Butt them together in the corner and cut the tops so it blends into the chair rail bottom.
Ron
Old 07-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #10

cove molding
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #11

Poncho and Ron- Both sound like great ideas, but I still don't get how to cut either the cove or the lattice where it intersects with horizontal chair rail.

Can you give me any idea as to how to cut it?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Drywall contractor

There's a screen mold that's only about 1/2" wide maybe 1/4" thick. It has a rounded edge on both sides. Butt a piece together on either side and caulk the middle. Some of the chair I've used is a bit thinner at the bottom than that, but you could sand/bevel cut the top with a miter saw to make it a more "comfortable" fit to the bottom of the chair rail.......
Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #13

Stubits, I think you're chasing your tail here. The wainscotting didn't go up as you'd like. The corner molding will need to be coped to receive the chair rail... When that doesn't work out, where do you go?
Better to get the paneling correct and avoid all the varied compensations you're into.
It might be more productive to correct or at least reduce the wall issues. It might be the way your scribing the panels that's the issue. I would invest the time looking up a good source of scribing to fine tune the technique you're using. I simple Web search should generate the info you need.
It might even be on You Tube.
Ron
Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #14

Ron-

I think it has more to do with the material than the cutting. It is relatively thin, perhaps 1/4 mdf, pre-painted paneling. It looks great and is easy to clean, but the cut edges show... it isn't possible to get a tight edge, so molding, of some sort, really is the only option here. I really appreciate your efforts to help and your suggestions. Nevertheless, I'm going to have to find something to cover the corners.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #15

My parents have similar situation in their dining room. Except, they have paneling over old plaster and lath walls so the corned molding goes floor to ceiling.

Stubits, is your paneling/corner molding just going to be on the lower half of the wall? If so, and you cant get quarter round to meet the chair rail, maybe you can extend the chair rail down the sides wall also, and use it like a picture frame. Another idea is try to find a thicker chair rail option so that the quarter round does not stick out much farther than the chair rail and then you can sand/taper the top of the quarter round so its flush with the chair rails.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote