Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

Interior Window Finishing

Hey folks. First project post so bear with me if I omit any necessary details.

I'm trying to finish a room in the house. First on the docket sit the two windows. We hired in a handyman to replace the existing OEM trailer windows with some good ones. He did quite a hack job on the drywall and existing framing but managed to get the windows in.

He left (with materials cash and a few of our valuables in hand) before the job was finished. I'm afraid to proceed without some input on the matter as I don't want to have to lick my calf over later.

They're supposed to be recessed windows but I have no idea how to box them in. What materials are needed? How do I install them? I honestly can't find any side anchor points on the second window (no beams, just insulation). This is my first DIY job outside of flooring so I'm out of my element. Any and all guidance will be immeasurably appreciated.

Photos attached along with a reference window to show the desired finished look.

Thanks,

Matt

P.S. Thanks to my Dad I have about every tool you could name if I need it for the job... I just may not know the name/what it looks like. Although I can't see much more than a table saw and hammer for this one... I could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Window Finishing-br1.jpg   Interior Window Finishing-br1_top_left.jpg   Interior Window Finishing-br2.jpg   Interior Window Finishing-br2_top.jpg   Interior Window Finishing-lr1.jpg  

Interior Window Finishing-br1_bottom_left.jpg  

Last edited by RaiseTheCurve; 07-23-2011 at 09:03 PM.
RaiseTheCurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

Ok, I did the same thing in my trailer. You need to add a 2x4 around the window. You can attach it just behind the drywall around the window with a few screws. When I replaced my windows I re framed everthing so didn't have a problem when it came to putting up the inside trime. Once you get a 2x4 around them you can frame them out with 1x4 or 1x5 depending. Or you may have to cut a board to the size you need. Once you have the framing you will be able to attach you widow trim on the inside around the window.

bobzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzam
You need to add a 2x4 around the window. You can attach it just behind the drywall around the window with a few screws. - Once you get a 2x4 around them you can frame them out with 1x4 or 1x5 depending. Or you may have to cut a board to the size you need. Once you have the framing you will be able to attach you widow trim on the inside around the window.
Is it really that simple? I shouldn't have much of a problem finding a place to attach the 2x4s as long as they don't have to be super-sturdy on the sides. Thanks so much bobzam! I'll give it a whack and report back.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #4

you need to frame the opening properly, look up how to frame a window opening on the internet.

that is quite the hack job.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
Mod

You have quite the mess to clean up there RTC.

I’m thinking the most important tool you may need out of your Dads arsenal is Dad himself.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #6

No kidding guys. I was in shock when it was happening but he kept reassuring my Mom and I that every bit of his tear-down was necessary and it would come together in the end.
I scoured the internet but apparently my phrasing was poor. At least it lead me to this great place and you kind folks.
I wish I had the option to refer to Dad these days. Lost him six years ago to cancer. I have his tools and his sense of pride in his work. For the details I'm referring to y'all.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Mod

First get the framing cleaned up then we can talk trim.

The framing should look like this. You want the opening to be about 1/4" bigger than the window all around.

What’s with the double wall?
Post some pictures from the outside (including the roof line) too.
Attached Images

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-25-2011 at 05:53 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron
First get the framing cleaned up then we can talk trim.

The framing should look like this. You want the opening to be about 1/4" bigger than the window all around.

What’s with the double wall?
Post some pictures from the outside (including the roof line) too.
Thanks Ron!! That pic has saved me quite a headache trying to explain the concept to my Brother. The home is a double wide with an extension and a shell to make it look like one piece. Hence the double wall. It was done by the previous owners. Will post requested pics as soon as I get home from Lowes.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

Outside photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Window Finishing-forumrunner_20110725_201741.jpg   Interior Window Finishing-forumrunner_20110725_201801.jpg   Interior Window Finishing-forumrunner_20110725_202010.jpg   Interior Window Finishing-forumrunner_20110725_202031.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #10

Update: 1 and a half framed. Had to improvise a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Window Finishing-forumrunner_20110728_211416.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #11

Update: One window with drywall.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Window Finishing-forumrunner_20110729_011511.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
Mod

I got to tell you RTC that framing pic was a little rough on the eyes at 5am. After a cup when I figured out the picture needed to rotate, it got a little better but not by much.

You can‘t leave out the header.

Thankfully that window is on a rake wall and the load of the roof is being carried by the truss to the outside wall but for the windows on the eave wall the header is structural and what you did on this first window will not fly there.

Remember the diagram?

The header, king studs, trimmers and the end cripples are all structural and need to be there as shown. Improvising isn’t an option.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-29-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
I got to tell you RTC that framing pic was a little rough on the eyes at 5am. After a cup when I figured out the picture needed to rotate, it got a little better but not by much.
I tried three times to get the pic to upload upright. Didn't feel like firing up the laptop at the time to do a hard-fix. Sorry about that.

Quote:
You can‘t leave out the header.

Thankfully that window is on a rake wall and the load of the roof is being carried by the truss to the outside wall but for the windows on the eave wall the header is structural and what you did on this first window will not fly there.

Remember the diagram?
I do... vividly. If I had my way it would have been followed to a 'T'. Unfortunately for the diagram I had oral surgery and my brother took over. Seeing as how he left out the header in both windows and instead left attachments for the finish boards... what kind of hell am I looking at? Removing the drywall and redoing the framing the right way will make me a martyr given all the stress in the house. The original pics of the handyman's work showed how the openings have been for over 6 years and we have no noticeable sag. I know I said I pride myself on doing it right... but I also enjoy speaking with my immediate family.

I appreciate your help and hope you don't consider it a personal slight if I wuss out on this fight with an "I told you so" as long as you don't come back with "the house will fall down and hellfire and brimstone" and all that.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
Mod

RTC you came here with pictures of a butchered window installation and a picture of how you would like the finished product to look.

Trimming a window like that is not that difficult but is does require a the ability of paying attention to detail if you want it to actually look like it does in the pic.

Properly framing the opening is the first step of doing this, if you and bro can’t get it right then the odds of the finished window looking like you want are starting to stack up against you.

Covering the mess with piece of sheetrock isn’t going to help and toothaches really have nothing to do with it either.

You guys should just focus on doing a nice clean job on the framing and look at that as your first test. Passing that one will go a long way towards the goal of having nicely trimmed windows when your done.

If you get stuck anywhere along the way during the framing just stop and post a picture with a question and we’ll get you past that hurdle and move on to the next.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-31-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Tags
finish, finishing, recessed, trim, window