Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |

Interior walls & gambrel ceiling

First of all, I want to say thank you in advance to anyone who can help me solve the following problem.

I recently purchased a 14 x 40 foot lofted barn style shed building with a gambrel roof and all of the interior is rough framed. I am wanting to convert this building into a small guest cabin. I am ready to start framing interior walls and here lies my dilemma.....how does one attach an interior wall to the gambrel ceiling? I have researched this extensively only to find no real answers other than the wall has to be a rake wall, which is understandable. Do I attach the interior rake wall to the existing trusses (which are not flat, like a top plate) or do I attach a new top plate to the ceiling? The roof does have sofits along the eaves and also a continuous vent along the pitch of the roof. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks

Cveroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

It's probably easiest to build a regular frame wall, then fill in the top, sides. Normally I wouldn't advise that becaause you need something top to bottom for strength, but at only 14' (probably less with the steep roof sides, your top plate(s) can be one piece. That'll be pretty decent rigidity unless you'll constantly be slamming a heavy door. If you use sheetrock, span across the top plate to avoid cracking at the seam and to add strength. If you decide to frame all studs top to bottom, frame in place. Install the bottom plate, plumb up at center and ends, install top plate, then put in your tallest stud first. Then you can measure off of it to layout all the others. If you go that route, DeWalt makes a real nice tool. It's a plumb laser. You set it down on your mark at the bottom and it makes a red spot on the ceiling exactly plumb from there

Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dwoodsmith For This Useful Post:
Cveroline (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #3

For a short length (not height) rake wall, frame it flat be leave the last 3" off the top plate to run the end studs full-height, nailing into ceiling rake plate with blocking between the trusses.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
Cveroline (01-27-2011)

Tags
gambrel roof rake wall