Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
cda

Share |

Interior wall construction?

Im planning on taking in a corner of my finished out garage by adding two non load-bearing walls.

I wont have a problem anchoring my bottom plate to the concrete floor but I'm running into an issue on the celling. It appears as though the previous owner finished the garage ceiling with 2 layers of drywall (don't know why), this coupled with sprayed insulation in the attic is making it very difficult to locate the joists (even with my stud finder).

My question is this: is it absolutely imperative that I secure my top plate to the ceiling? Could i get away with anchoring just the bottom plate and then secure the end studs in my new wall to studs in the perpendicular walls?

I'd really like to not rip out all the drywall in the ceiling, do i have any other options?

cda

PS: I'm new here, thanks for any help.

cda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

If you are doing it your self then you should first concern your friend or family member who is in construction business. if you will not take any advice and you will do it your self if some thing goes wrong the consequences will be disastrous.

paulsmith544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #3

It need to be attached. Is there any access to the "attic" area?
It would suck to have to to it this way but if you had to as a last resort you mark out where the top plates going and just drill a row of hole 1" apart until you hit the joist. Once you find one measure off 24" and see if there's another one. Once you figure out the pattern you can mark the top plate or mark the ceiling with dabs of blue tape.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

Small magnet finds the second layer fasteners...

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #5

U will be fine not load bearing if u want just put liquid nails on upper top plate
kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

It's not hard finding the joists. Holes can be repaired or lay out the room on the ceiling and put the screws through where the plate will lie.

I don't like the wall on the sheetrock idea because banging door will move the wall with joint cracks and wall with vibrate.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

if the garage is attached its required by code to either use 2 layers of 1/2" drywall or a single layer of 5/8 board . its for fire code.

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote