Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

interior loadbearing wall

I would like to remove an interior load bearing wall of 9'. Would a 4x12 do the job, if not what would?

Delmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Mod / ArchiBuilder

We need to know a little more information.

Is it holding up a roof, floor?

I hate giving out any information when it comes to removing load bearing walls, if you do not really understand, why they are load bearing and what it will take to remove it, I highly advise for this not to be a diy job.

Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Woodworker and Contractor

Not only what's above it, but where are you moving the load to below it?
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Home Renovations GC

Delmar, these guys are right, there's certain jobs that can be done by a DIY, there's some jobs that SHOULD be done by a pro. Yup, it costs but think of the cost if you screw up.

I'd be interested to know how you were thinking of accomplishing this task. As suggested, the requirement will vary totally depending on where this load bearing wall is being installed. I'm doing a home remodel at the moment, we're removing a wall and installing a 10' LVL load bearing beam in a dining room and sheathing it. In the basement we're installing a steel beam directly under the LVL we're worried about the area being compromised as the home is an older one.
kiwi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
I would like to remove an interior load bearing wall of 9'. Would a 4x12 do the job, if not what would?
DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!!!

You cannot simply "move" a load bearing wall. There is much, much more involved, including the entire home's structural designs. PLEASE hire a professional.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Home Remodeler

If you want to do the work yourself hire an engineer to design it.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
chicagoRandy

Totally agree with mikey48 hire an engineer by the hour for an hour or two to come out to your job and consult. 9' is a long span. If it is straightforward he will be able to advise you on this and also on other things you may not even have considered. Call an engineer, not a contractor, not a building inspector and not an architect. On the other hand if this is a single story house and there are no loads above or below and you are on flat ground and that ground is not clay or sand and you have enlarged foundations under the new posts that will bear on bedrock that is at least two feet below the frost line and the jurisdiction in which it is located provides a chart for sizing beams for simple projects and you aren't in an earthquake or hurricane zone and you know exactly what type of connection between the beam and the post and the post to foundation and you never plan to sell it by all means go for it.

chicagoRandy is offline   Reply With Quote