Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #1

Share |

Interior door suggestions

I have a interior door which leads down to my basement which is rented out as a seperate suite. The current door is hollow and very poor at preventing sound travelling up from the suite. I would love to have any suggestions of a door to purchase either from Rona or Home Depot if possible. The current doors dimensions are 80x30 inches.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Drywall contractor

You could use a metal or fiberglass, insulated, exterior door with the weather stripping . It will help with the sound. Just change out the brick mold for regular casing.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmno041 View Post
Edna Parker died at a nursing home in Indiana, her family said. Mrs Parker had been a widow since 1939 and had lived alone in her farmhouse until she was 100. She outlived her two sons, and had 31 other descendants. With Mrs Parker's death, Maria de Jesus of Portugal, born in 1893, is the world's oldest person, according to the Gerontology Research Group. Stephen Coles, who maintains the centre's list of centenarians, said Mrs Parker's great-nephew told him she died on Wednesday. She did not drink alcohol or smoke, and led an active life. Mrs Parker, a teacher before she became a farmer's wife in 1913, advised people to get "more education," the Associated Press news agency reported. - welcome shower room world.*.*

DYI FORUM OR CURRENT EVENTS FORUM??????
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

I was also thinking of just buying a solid wood door but I am not too sure if this would be a more costly option?
Old 11-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
knewbie

I would suggest using an exterior steel door, they are available in many styles to match whatever doors you already have in your home. These doors come with weather strip installed and are insulated which will help with the sound issues.

The 30" door you mentioned will probably have to be ordered if you go to a box store like the Depot as they usually only stock 36" and 32" in exterior doors.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #6

Thanks Curapa for the suggestion, I had noticed that Home Depot did not have any 30" versions on their website so I had assumed they were not available. I will call them tomorrow to see if they can order one in for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge22 View Post
Thanks Curapa for the suggestion, I had noticed that Home Depot did not have any 30" versions on their website so I had assumed they were not available. I will call them tomorrow to see if they can order one in for me.
Special ordering a door from a big box will cost 20 to 40% more than a stock door. I would suggest you reframe the opening for a standard 32 inch door. The framing should be non loadbearing so increasing size should not be hard. I would get a 32 inch exterior fiberglass door for the weatherstripping and the sound dampening. As suggested remove the brickmold and install standard interior casing to match your existing.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
Man of many hats

And don't forget to check your yellow pages. You might find that you can get a 30" door cheaper and quicker from a door supplier or lumber yard.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #9

I had a similar situation and new legislation required that the door between units would be fire rated! I was able to purchase one at Home Depot!

Fire rated doors are readily available and they are solid enough to limit the transmission of sound.
Weather stripping around the jamb would help also!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote