Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #1

Share |

Interior door install, Carpet??

I am installing new interior doors in my basement. I am also going to be laying carpet, but want to install the door first. The opening is 32" x 80". Should I get a 32"x72" door to accommodate for the carpet height, or should I just get the 80" door and cut it?

Also I was thinking of getting a hollow core door, is this a bad idea?

Thanks for your advice in advance!
philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly529 View Post
I am installing new interior doors in my basement. I am also going to be laying carpet, but want to install the door first. The opening is 32" x 80". Should I get a 32"x72" door to accommodate for the carpet height, or should I just get the 80" door and cut it?

hollow doors are fine, you just cant cut more then an inch or so off,
go with the 80" an cut it,

take your time an you'll be fine,

Albiechaser/ http://www.youtube.com/user/ALBIECHASER?feature=mhw4
albiechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly529 View Post
Wow, that must be some awefully plush carpet, that is a huge difference from a 72" to an 80" door. But seriously...

Since you state that the opening is 32" x 80", I assume you are just replacing the door blank itself, and not he entire unit. As previously stated, most hollow core units will need to have the bottom blocking reinstalled if you trim more than an inch off, but if you have the skills to mortise the hinges and bore for the lockset, this should pose no problem.
It will be more economical to do this yourself than to order a 72" door blank, which will be called a custom order, and cost twice the price; even though they will do the identical thing..cut and reblock the 80" slab.

The choice of hollow or solid core, mdf or wood, and decorative profiles is dependent mostly on your budjet and style preferrence. But if you really need to cut anywhere near 8" off, you are pretty much limited to a flat slab, without any type of panels.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-10-2010 at 10:22 AM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Wow, that must be some awefully plush carpet, that is a huge difference from a 72" to an 80" door. But seriously...

Since you state that the opening is 32" x 80", I assume you are just replacing the door blank itself, and not he entire unit. As previously stated, most hollow core units will need to have the bottom blocking reinstalled if you trim more than an inch off, but if you have the skills to mortise the hinges and bore for the lockset, this should pose no problem.
It will be more economical to do this yourself than to order a 72" door blank, which will be called a custom order, and cost twice the price; even though they will do the identical thing..cut and reblock the 80" slab.

The choice of hollow or solid core, mdf or wood, and decorative profiles is dependent on your budjet and style preferrence.
Sorry, I meant 78" rather than 72.
philly529 is offline   Reply With Quote