Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior Door

I want to finish interior doors and trim and want to know what the best way to finish them is? I want to stain them then put a clear coat on top. What the best way to do this, best products out there to use? Would also like to spray the clear coat indoors if at all possible?

Sftail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Interior Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sftail2 View Post
I want to finish interior doors and trim and want to know what the best way to finish them is? I want to stain them then put a clear coat on top. What the best way to do this, best products out there to use? Would also like to spray the clear coat indoors if at all possible?
Some answers will vary depending on the species of the door. If you have pine , fir, or any softwood you will need to either "condition" the doors with a pre stain product, or seal the wood completely with a wash coat of sealer, to prevent the huge color variaton between the new and old parts of the wood.This is not that crucial with woods like mahogany, walnut, etc. Also very open grained woods like mahogany or oak usually look better when a paste stain is used IMO.

As for product, stick with a major line used by the trade, like Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams. Spraying indoors is less of a problem in empty new construction, but is not that practical if it is an existing finished house. Anytime you spray a solvent base product indoors, there are serious ventilation issues. The mist from the atomized product can very quickly create a highly explosive atmosphere inside.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
BuilderRemodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Interior Door

Clear Coat is a term that is misleading... personal experience has been even the top clear laquer finishes do yellow contrary to what they say.
Your Experience Level with a spray gun can also may determine what products you work with. For many a fast drying polyuerathane following the instructions and thinning it correctly works best and although it may yellow more and take longer to dry it will be a better performing product.
Good old Minwax stain can be hard to beat.
More Painting Tips and suggestions on Painting Page... http://www.BrandsConstruction.com
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Interior Door

They are pine doors. And it is a basement that I am finishing. How about water base (minwax polycrylic) clear coat/top coat finishes, can it be sprayed inside. I live in Colorado and its still cold outside so am wanting to spray inside if possible? Also weather chages around here too fast to try and do it outside.
Sftail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
BuilderRemodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Interior Door

For Fast Application with low to moderate usage polycrylic is decent.
Sometimes no pain no gain... durable oil based polyurethane takes time and energy. It does yellow over time. This can be accounted for when a stain color is selected. If you can thin and apply the polyurethane correctly... long term the amount of work you do may be less.

Water base (minwax polycrylic) may be as good of a water base product as I have seen. It is user friendly and leaves a nice shiny finish.

Working indoors may be o.k. also with polycrylic.
Perhaps leave an exterior window open and place a fan in the window when working with it.

On items with wear and tear however... an oil finish may keep you happier long term. I loved the polycrylic look and application... however we will need to redo a new table finished with polycrylic.
It has chipped off 1/2" - 1" x 1-3" wide pieces.
Three areas and a couple small ones...
One in the first month... all with in a couple years. A few minor problems also on a small kitchen finished with water based polycrylic by the door knobs.

Also used the polycrylic for plagues, going over painted items, and hobby and craft items with no problems.
For these items the water based polycrylic is very nice.

Wishing you the best.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote