Interior Cement Wall Crack - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior Cement Wall Crack

Hello,

I had some water damage to this main floor interior wall archway directly below the bathroom. After removing some old(& ugly) wall paper border and scraping off some paint that was flaking off anyway, my plan was going to be to skim coat the wall with joint compound and prime/paint. Then I discovered that the wall is made of cement and it has two cracks running parallel. Any suggestions on repair and how to proceed with finishing the wall so it can be painted? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Cement Wall Crack-100_7194.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by beleazer; 11-13-2010 at 02:54 PM.
beleazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why do you think it's concrete(cement)? Sort of looks like plaster over a wood lath to me. If that's the case tape the crack and compound the wall.
If it's not plaster, tell me why you think it's "cement".
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

Ron-

Thanks for the response; you're exactly right.... Curiousity got the best of me & after more "digging" it made sense. Not sure if I should just rip all of this down at this point and just attach sheetrock...I wouldn't hesistate at all if it was an exterior wall.

Here's what it looks like now:
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #4

The combination of wood lath and plaster makes it tricky and dusty to make the conversion to sheetrock. The first coat of plaster(brown coat) has oozed through the spaces in the lath and wrapped around the back of it, locking it to the wood. The white top coat grabs on and presents a finish coat for paint. This system is brittle and doesn't tolerate too much trauma. If it does, the wrapped brown coat(keys) fall off and the area loosens. You need to grind a perimeter cut and gently remove the insides. Then you can add the sheetrock.
Ron
Old 11-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #5

Great explanation Ron, I appreciate it. Will it complicate the process of adding the sheetrock because the archway is made of metal? Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beleazer View Post
Great explanation Ron, I appreciate it. Will it complicate the process of adding the sheetrock because the archway is made of metal? Thanks
If the sheetrock patch will go under the metal bead, yes. If you can avoid that, do it. If not you will need to remove the plaster under it. Since there is framing behind it, it will be less prone to vibrational damage.
You can cut a line past the metal and patch to that.
You'll need to treat the rusted metal or it will bleed through the compound, primer, etc...
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 11-19-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #7

So you would cut right through the wood that is visible now that's behind the plaster? There's no way to just re-plaster what's missing? Thanks again
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beleazer View Post
So you would cut right through the wood that is visible now that's behind the plaster? There's no way to just re-plaster what's missing? Thanks again
As long as the plaster is still keyed to the lath and structurally sound, you can skim coat it.
If not, I would only cut through the paster and leave the lath as is as a support backing. Many times the plaster is less then 1/2" thick and this gives you the opportunity to use 3/8" sheetrock and still have a sturdy wall.
Ron

Advertisement