Interior Bedroom Door Question - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior Bedroom Door Question

Hello all,
I'm interested in replacing my current bedroom door, but I'm not sure what kind to get and where to get it. I'd like one that's thicker than my current door so as to help block out noise from the living room. I think mine currently is just MDF, but I'm not sure and it sounds hallow. What kind of door should I get, where can I get it from and about how much do you think it will cost? Any extra tips of things I might not think of ahead of time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

CommMajor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
morningwood

Rewards Points: 25

HI,
Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

If you are looking to block a little more noise with your door, I dont think going to a thicker door will help much IF you end up with another MDF door.

The best thing I can think of is to get a solid wood door (insulated may help- but I think solid wood would be better).

If you knock on your door and it sounds hollow....it is. You can tell if it is solid by the sound as well as it weighs WAY more than a hollow MDF door.

Solid wood is more money, for obvious reasons, but a much better door. If you go to a thicker door--say a fire rated solid wood door, your jambs and door stops will have to be changed.

Most places that sell doors can get you one of those doors. They may not stock it but they should be able to order it in.

.50 cent ear plugs are the cheapest way to go

Rahfiki Mon

Advertisement

rahfiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
morningwood

Rewards Points: 25

Sorry forgot to throw in price. Up where I am from, a solid wood door is at least double the price of a hollow door. Figure on paying around $230 (cnd) for door. More for a fire rated thicker door with new door jambs and stops.

Not sure if there is much price differance where you are from, but it is a start.

Rah
rahfiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

CommMajor101--Without knowing you location--You may be able to find a builder supply center, not a Lowe's or Home Depot, or such, and see if they can order you a "door slab" the size of your existing door that is "sound insulated". They do make these, they do cost more than the regular hollow core doors as you seem to have, and are more "cost efficient" ( I like that rather than "cheap") then true wooden doors. Now, don't expect to just change out the doors even though you may be able to get one the exact same dimensions as your present door. Your, or someone will have to fit the hinges, and the lock set, etc. Asking and pricing should still be free, if they want your business, and will give you an idea of how much this project will cost. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

thanks everyone!
CommMajor101 is offline   Reply With Quote