DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Insulating wall when running Copper Tube lines to an exposed wall face

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Wildie 
#1 ·
My home has an attachment onto the original house that is my laundry room. The original source lines for the hot/cold/drainage water lines are on the side of the original house wall where this attached addition was placed. I would like to run these lines through the wall around a corner to stack my washer dryer units on the other wall, clearing up a ton of space.

My question is regarding best strategy insulating this new wall as the new lines would now be on an exposed wall.

#3 ·
I attached a rough schematic of what the move looks like. The green arrows show move from original location to new, around corner of wall. The new location has the reverses side of this wall as an exposed face.

The question is how to best insulate a wall such as this. Plywood/tyvek with hardi plank sheathing.

This addition is not climate controlled by house.

Attachments

#4 ·
Scubbber, where do you live?

As Grandpa Bud said, having plumbing in an outside wall like you propose can lead to frozen pipes if you happen to live in an area where tha is an issue.

Could you accomplish what you want and keep those plumbing lines in the wall between the laundry room and the rest of the house.

#5 ·
I live in Atlanta, GA where we have a few weeks of freezing temperature every years. I thought I may insulate the wall shown in the diagram and the other exterior facing wall with R3.2 .5" reflective foam sheathing and cover that with R19 3.5" Kraft-faced batts. The space does not get terribly cold in the winter, so the exterior sheathing is doing a pretty good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.