Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

Installing washer/dryer in basement in former tub enclosure.

I'm planning to move my washer and dryer in the basement to give us more space in the main floor bathroom.

I already have a great space for them, which was originally built for a bath enclosure. My issue is with the drain. The drain line was installed for a bath, meaning that it comes out the floor at 16" from the back wall and 6" from the side wall. When I put my washer in that space, it will come out directly under my it. I don't want to have to break up concrete in order to bring the drain line into the back wall.

I thought about building a pedestal to raise the washer and dryer 8 inches from the floor. This would allow me to run my drain pipe on the floor and then into a the back wall. Inside the back wall, I can easily put in a p-trap, riser and can tie into a near by vent.

I'm worried about the vibrations coming from the frontload washer. My first thought was to build a pedestal framed out of 2x4 and 3/4" plywood and screw all of it to the floor and walls. My GF also wanted my to tile the top of the pedestal to match the floors, which could help with vibration also.

Do any of you see any problems with this? Will fixing the pedestal to the walls transfer vibration to the rest of the house or will it solidify the pedestal enough to eliminate most of these vibrations??

Or better yet, if you have any other ideas they would be well received!

Thanks

Andre

dj_backq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Installing washer/dryer in basement in former tub enclosure.

Question posted in two forums.

Installing washer and dryer in basement in former tub enclosure.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote