Installing Wainscot On Walls And Ceiling... Which First? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing wainscot on walls and ceiling... which first?

I am installing wainscot on the walls and ceiling in a sunroom. Which do I install first? Does it matter since I know I will need to put some sort of trim around the perimeter anyway?

Advertisement

maj0819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Anyone else confused?
How does wainscot and a ceiling have anything to do with each other.
Need a whole lot more details.
Is this a room down to bare studs? Or is there sheetrock?

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 524

I think this is one of those "kleenex-vs-tissue" deals. I am thinking the OP is using wainscotting as a general term for the type of material they are using. Probably puting up sheet goods or tongue and groove boards. I would do the ceiling first to avoid damaging the walls as you put up the sheets. The wall/ceiling joint does not matter as you will have to put up some trim anyway
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-14-2013), user1007 (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

probably talking about bead board. ceiling first and then butt the walls up tight to ceiling and then trim... make the grooves in the paneling line up where they match wall to ceiling, it looks better.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-14-2013), woodworkbykirk (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
probably talking about bead board. ceiling first and then butt the walls up tight to ceiling and then trim... make the grooves in the paneling line up where they match wall to ceiling, it looks better.
Sorry my fault you are exactly right. I am using pvc tongue and groove beadboard planks. I do have another question since you mention line up the lines. I was thinking about using the wide grooves on the ceiling and the thinner grooves on the wall. Most of it being put on the walls will be on a kneewall. However there are some small areas in which it will go up to the ceiling. Would it look ok or should I stick with the same design?

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Just as with painting, work from the top down. That way you don't risk damaging the walls when you're working on the ceiling.

Good luck.
Sheldon
http://best-handyman.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj0819 View Post
I am installing wainscot on the walls and ceiling in a sunroom. Which do I install first? Does it matter since I know I will need to put some sort of trim around the perimeter anyway?
jjfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you running the beadboard all the way up the walls or only along the bottom like wainscoting? You are less likely to see a mismatch to the ceiling in the latter case.

What about a different pattern material for the ceiling like a replicated tin ceiling or something? They make the panels out of plastic materials you can paint now.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Are you running the beadboard all the way up the walls or only along the bottom like wainscoting? You are less likely to see a mismatch to the ceiling in the latter case.

What about a different pattern material for the ceiling like a replicated tin ceiling or something? They make the panels out of plastic materials you can paint now.
In some spots it will run up to the ceiling. The roof is made with trusses so it is peaked. My wife likes the wide groove planks which is why I went with that. I have been totally lost on the walls since I did not want to get into using sheetrock. I was thinking the thinner groove beadboard would look pretty good but was not 100% convinced. Any other ideas for the wall?

Appreciate your time.

Advertisement