Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing USED bevelled glass interior door

I have purchased a used bevelled glass interior door with 3" hinges centered at 8.5" from top and bottom which fits perfectly into an interior 30x 80 door frame where I had a slab door prior. The slab had 3 1/2" hinges, unevenly fastened.
Old frame 3.5" hinges cenetered at 8 7/8 from top and 13 1/4 at bottom.
Retro door 3" hinges spaced evenly , centerred at 8.5 from top and bottom
I plan to reno the entire room later this year so rather than replace the door frame now I would like to reuse the stanley 3.5" hinges in the door frame to match existing hardware in adjoining rooms and then fill the existing lower hinge cutout on the frame. This way I am not tampering with the door itself aside from installing larger hinges
I will then reset the old 3.5 " hinges into the door by opening up the 3" hinge cutouts, thereby leaving the door intact.
Is there a hinge cutout template for router or chisel and are there any pros out there with pointers

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

yes you can get hinge templates. Starting at cheap hand jigs to mark a starting line to clamp on individual ones for the router guide to a full set that lays out all three to perfectly match the door jam cutouts. Tips....use a very sharp chisel. Score the line with a razor knife first. Take your time. did I mention very SHARP chisel. Note.. a brand new chisel is not very SHARP!

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Cabinet maker

If the door is painted, the best way (not easiest) to handle the hinge side is to rip a half inch or so off the door and glue another piece on. Sand it flush and dap in the hinges. Since you only have one hinge that will need repair you may be better off filling the void with a piece of wood and bondo.

If your hinges are square cornered then a sharp chisel is fine. Round corner hinges are best done with a router and jig.

You don't mention if your lock set will line up or not. You ok there?
Augie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

Thanks Augie, and Bob,
Yes the lockset will be the prerequisite for alignment. I have already tested the alignment and plan to shim the door so the set is aligned level before tampering with the hinges. The 3.5 hinges are square cornered and I will likely use a chisel to enlarge the cutout on the door, then repalce the door frame later this year so as to leave no trace of the retro.
Augie thanks but I don't really want to tamper with the door width, it is nearly perfect and I want to keep it intact, I figure I can replace a few door hinge sides of door jambs for the cost of a bevelled glass door
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door hinge installation