Installing Trim (baseboard & Door Casing) - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Installing trim (baseboard & door casing)

Hello everyone, first post here. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the molding on this corner. I attached pictures.

The opening is from a play area (vinyl floor) to office (hardwood). There will be no door as it is actually a half-wall around the office, so I have 1/4" plywood that will get painted or stained at the opening. I have a transition block for the floor height change but I'm not sure what I should do to transition from the door casing to the baseboard. I took two pictures, one with a 90* cut on the baseboard and another with a 45* cut.

I would caulk the joints to help, but I still worry that there might be better options for me to use. If there's a different or better casing option, let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Installing trim (baseboard & door casing)-20151001_123022.jpg   Installing trim (baseboard & door casing)-20151001_123258.jpg  

Advertisement

DuBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

Personally, I wouldn't do the plinth block and base molding on the opening itself. I would just put a regular door stop where the wood floor ends or leave it without anything. I don't think I've ever seen any kind of base molding run at the bottom of the door opening.

Rather than try and come up with something that looks contrived, just leave it alone and it will look better IMHO

If you need something to cover the edge of the vinyl and the plywood doesn't cover it, run a shoe mold at the bottom from the hardwood to the edge of the wall in the playroom.

Advertisement

CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (10-02-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 118

One of those things that you don't think about until you have to think about it.

Another possible way to view this and find a solution...

The painted 1/4" plywood with casing and described "look" is that of a door jamb. If it visually looks like and will be perceived as a door jamb, should be trimmed-finished like a door jamb. No molding, tight looking fit of jamb to flooring.
Wild Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Willard For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #4

If your looking to cover the vinyl/wood floor edge.
You could add 1/2" lumber on the inside of each jamb.
Then attach your trim
Then baseboard.

That would cover the edges of the floors with no need put anything there except maybe caulk.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,108

I'd remove the ply jamb veneer. The trim without a reveal never looks right, although that might be from a habit. The ply edge is also prone to splintering and needs extra wood filler to make smooth. Install 1x jamb and scribe the bottom on the poster paper, test and transfer to the jamb. It will be cleaner and more natural. The expansion space on the corner can be covered as well.
If not, use wider base trim in the kitchen and scribe it to match the liv room trim. Or same trim, match the top edge and cover the bottom edge with quarter round or modified door stop-if the gap is more than 3/4".
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Yodaman (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 880

makeathicker jamb to hide any gap, dont baseboard the face of the jamb either just treat it as standard door

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-02-2015)