Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

Installing prehung doors

Hi, I have 2 X 4 framing throughtout the house, and 5/8 sheetrock on both sides of the wall. I am looking to install some prehung doors, but I noticed that most home centers sell prehung doors 4 9/16 jambs. How can I correct this problem? Thanks

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Installing prehung doors

Best solution is to find a local mill work supplier who will sell retail to you (some suppliers will only sell to open trade accounts) and have them supply units with the correct width jambs. If this is not an option for you, the jambs can be widened by nailing a filler onto the existing width to make up for the thicker sheetrock; step it back to create a reveal when you apply it, then apply the trim to the filler. Another option sure to be mentioned is to use "split jamb" door units, where the opposite sides of the jamb slip into each other, and have enough adjustment range to make up for the thicker walls. Once the door side is installed, it must be shimmed pretty decently to the rough framing before inserting the other piece, or the completed installation will remain a flimsy piece of junk. Since it sounds like you are doing an entire house of doors, I would strongly recommend getting the correct jamb width.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Installing prehung doors

Or you could just buy 'slab' doors and build your own jambs. I've done that. It saves money but is more time consuming of course. I got my doors for like $5 each for solid doors so it sort of made sense. I built a router template to cut the hinges and did all the doors at once. Then I did all the jambs at once. I cut all the lengths at once, etc. I installed the stop mouldings once the doors were hung.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #4

Installing prehung doors

Hey Brik, sounds like a good idea, can you explain to me how to do the door jambs? What size of wood to use? What type of wood to use? Also how to do the router jig for the hinges would be great as well, I do have a router laying around as well. Thanks, I;ll check in with you again. Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
jan

Installing prehung doors

If it were me I'd just order the prehung with the split jamb and be done with it. The split jambs require a little more care in installation but that's all that's required.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Installing prehung doors

Building your own jambs is not for everyone. I did it because I got a great deal on the slab doors. The jambs are just three pieces of wood. They are connected in the corner with a rabbit joint at the top corners with glue and screws. I used 3/4" poplar and painted them.

Look at the pre-hung doors and see how they are built. usually staples connect the jambs.

As for hinge mortises - You could use something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-5.../dp/B00004TI3O

This is cool too
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-83038-De...673988-0770454

and

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-5...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I made my own out of a scrap of plywood and it was the length of the door and accommodated the three hinges my heavy doors required. I also used it to cut the mortises on the jambs.

I cut the mortises for the strike plates by hand with a sharp chisel.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #7

Installing prehung doors

Thanks guys, do they sell split jambs by themselves or do they have to be purchashed with the doors?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Installing prehung doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Thanks guys, do they sell split jambs by themselves or do they have to be purchashed with the doors?
I have never seen them, but that doesn't mean not so, especially since I hate split jambs and close my eyes anytime I see one in sight Why would you want to purchase the jambs without the doors? Don't think you are going to save money by installing the blanks yourself, not so. Believe me, I do this every day. Building an entire housefull of jambs, hinging the doors, and boring them for locksets is not an enjoyable DIY project. Buy prehung units with the correct size jambs, and move on.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #9

Installing prehung doors

Definately will take your advise troubleseeker, I will buy the prehung doors with the proper width. I am remodeling a home I just purchashed and guttered out. I didn't want to go with the flimpsy 1/2 rock, so I rock the whole entire house with 5/8. Thanks.