Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |

Installing pre-hung doors

When installing pre-hung 6 panel interior doors, Is the door removed from the jamb, taken off hinges, during the install? Or is the door left in place when the jamb is squared up and nailed into place.
Thanks.
Gus...

ffgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffgus View Post
When installing pre-hung 6 panel interior doors, Is the door removed from the jamb, taken off hinges, during the install? Or is the door left in place when the jamb is squared up and nailed into place.
Thanks.
Gus...
Definitely leave the door on. It will help:

1.) It will help keep the frame itself square and aligned (Not racked).
2.) It will help you during your installation to be able to check the alignment of the door as it opens and closes.
3.) It will help you to align the pre-bored strike plate hole with the pre-bored door hole - for proper knob functioning.

Additionally, if this is a split jamb arrangement, make sure you pull and separate the two sides of the frames with thier casings. If it feels stubborn, when you try to separate the two sides, check and make sure that no factory installed nails are hodling it together....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-02-2007 at 11:07 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Definitely leave the door on. It will help:

1.) It will help keep the frame itself square and aligned (Not racked).
2.) It will help you during your installation to be able to check the alignment of the door as it opens and closes.
3.) It will help you to align the pre-bored strike plate hole with the pre-bored door hole - for proper knob functioning.

Additionally, if this is a split jamb arrangement, make sure you pull and separate the two sides of the frames with thier casings. If it feels stubborn, when you try to separate the two sides, check and make sure that no factory installed nails are hodling it together....
Pay attention to AtlanticWB's good advice. Now for my two cents....leave those garbage split jamb units alone, they take more work than they save to make them into a decent,stable door unit.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Pay attention to AtlanticWB's good advice. Now for my two cents....leave those garbage split jamb units alone, they take more work than they save to make them into a decent,stable door unit.
Do you mean those nice doors that never align in any way shape or form.....especially the door slab itself to the door stops on the jamb?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

There was a thread where I wrote about installing an exterior door, it wont all apply but worth a read.

Installing a New Entry Door
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #6

I installed the interior door as recommended. After I set the nails in the jamb, through the shims, now there is a 1/4 inch gap at the top where the door meets the door stop. The door is flush on the bottom to the door stop. The jamb is level all the way around. I tried moving the top, door handle side, in, and the bottom door handle side, out, of the jamb. The gap closed a little bit more. The door feels like it is "sprung".
Any help?
Thanks
Gus
ffgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffgus View Post
I installed the interior door as recommended. After I set the nails in the jamb, through the shims, now there is a 1/4 inch gap at the top where the door meets the door stop. The door is flush on the bottom to the door stop. The jamb is level all the way around. I tried moving the top, door handle side, in, and the bottom door handle side, out, of the jamb. The gap closed a little bit more. The door feels like it is "sprung".
Any help?
Thanks
Gus
Gus,

I am assuming that you are installing the: 6 panel, split jam, pre-hung MDF, wood textured doors (wew...say that 5 times fast)...

That is the problem with those...they can look good when installed and painted, but they whip these out of the factory so quick that they are not always assembled properly and the quality control is not real alert.

#1.) Check the door slab itself to see if it's warped or not square.
#2) Check the placement of the hinges. Make sure that they are seated in their mortises and are also attached properly.
#3.) Look at the way the top header jamb is attached to the side jambs - did they seperate a little during installation?
#4.) Bust out your levels again to check the door slab for level and plumb. Check the door frame for level and plumb, check the jambs for level and plumb. (When we install doors we use a 6' level and a 2' level (for the top the frame/jamb)
#5.) It's possible that the door stop, frame, or casing may not have been assembled or cut properly at the factory.