Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing pre-hung door over tile to laminate transition

I have a door way in which I will be installing a prehung door. This door will have 2 different types of flooring under it, tile and laminate. What is the proper order to install the door? Door then floor. Or floor then door?

If I install the door first, I will have to undercut the jams 2 seperate heights correct? One for the laminate, and one for the tile?

Edit: Also, I don't believe the difference in heights between the two floors will be too different, therefore is it acceptable to install both floors first, then the door?

Last edited by aldgagnon; 10-25-2010 at 09:56 AM.
aldgagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

what's the threshold material of the pre-hung door? wood? aluminum? no threshold?

i would install the flooring first, then the door, or the door first with spacers underneath it (tiles and laminate).

if the threshold is wood, i would probably take it off and notch it appropriately on the table saw to fit the variations in floor height. if the threshold is something else or there isn't one, then simply make one out of wood.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
what's the threshold material of the pre-hung door? wood? aluminum? no threshold?

i would install the flooring first, then the door, or the door first with spacers underneath it (tiles and laminate).

if the threshold is wood, i would probably take it off and notch it appropriately on the table saw to fit the variations in floor height. if the threshold is something else or there isn't one, then simply make one out of wood.

You're referring to the piece of wood that bridges the tile to the hardwood? In that case, I have not yet bought one but it will be wood (whatever they sell for laminate).
Old 10-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #4

in that case i would install the flooring first.
then scribe the door jambs to the floor. then make your wood threshold which will bridge the two floors in a gentle change of floor heights (rather than stubbing your toe on the edge of the tile).
The Following User Says Thank You to wombosi For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
in that case i would install the flooring first.
then scribe the door jambs to the floor. then make your wood threshold which will bridge the two floors in a gentle change of floor heights (rather than stubbing your toe on the edge of the tile).
That sounds like a plan. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

PS:
make sure the joint between the tile and your threshold is located right in the center of the door when it's closed. this way, on one side of the room all you see is tile, on the other you'll see both.
also, i'm sure you know this but don't grout between the wood and tile, just a tight joint.

if there were no difference in floor heights, there would be no threshold and the joint between the two floors would be right under the center of the door. if there's a way you can pull this off, it would be much classier.