Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #1

Share |

Installing my simple railing (picture inside)

I have a handrail (unplowed)
Balusters
Shoerail unplowed
Newel

Where do I start? This is not an easy job but with some guidience, I know I can pull it off.

I know how attached all the parts, I just need to know in what order.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Installing my simple railing (picture inside)-railing.jpg  
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

I cant see if you are going for post to post or over the rail style. IF you have all the parts and knew enough to order them correctly that is half the battle... the rest should just come. I would suggest a newel post in the corner and either a half newel or a rosette where the rail meets the wall. You'll need something solid in the wall right at the point the rail meets.

There's a real good free guide from the company that I bought my parts from here: http://www.ljsmith.com/installation_steps.html

I didnt use it except for figuring out which fasteners to order. You essentially build it from the bottom up but depending on the style and type of fasteners determines the order of the rest. Pre stain and poly everything! This will prevent hand oils and protectant oil from the fasteners from ruining the wood. Measure many times, check the codes, a level is your friend, you'll need a framers calculator or be good at rounding decimals to fractions for balluster spacing.

I built my stairs and 3 balcony landing guard rails in one long weekend. The wife complained about the table saw out on the front porch at 1am. Oh, and I was sweeping snow off of the table saw, lol. Enjoy!
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #3

thanks crecore,
I have a newel where the stairs meets the second floor. there is no a corner post where it turns 90 degrees and it simply anchors into the wall via rosette but I am now considering a half newel as you mentioned above.

Thanks for guide, some good pointers in there. I also found an online baluster spacing calculator to help me.
http://www.virginiarailingandgates.c...icketspace.asp

I had a railing installed in the same spot last year before we decided to expand. The opening used to be 5' with a 6" turn to the wall. I planed on using the old 5 foot pieces for my new 36" side but it now occured to me that the spacng will probably be off, bummer...

Congrats on your project, sounds like one you wont forget anytime soon.

Last edited by jelly; 07-16-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #4

Most newel posts are turned and your spacing is measured at the widest gap, usually near the top of the newel.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Most newel posts are turned and your spacing is measured at the widest gap, usually near the top of the newel.
This sounds similar to what I was told. If I am spacing the balusters 4" apart, the space between the newel and the baluster should be 3".

Is this the correct order of installation?

1) Install newel post at top of stairs
2) lay shoe which is simply a 1x3 with rounded corners.
3) drill baluster holes in shoe, check spacing
4) make handrail
5) drill handrail, check spacing
6) install balusters
7) Set handrail

What do I use to attach the handrail to the newel?

What do I use to attach the 45 corner handrails together?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecore View Post
There's a real good free guide from the company that I bought my parts from here: http://www.ljsmith.com/installation_steps.html
I also used lj smith. They make a 90 corner with a top that is hot glued in place. You cut the corner to length, then remove the cap. The straight sections are glued and bolted in place with rail bolts and the corner is secured by glue and lag screws into the newell. You then permanently glue on the top cap. All fastening hardware was included with the cap. You can see a connector I used for an intermediate newell in the first picture and the almost finished rail in the second. There are other manufactures of parts similar to the ones I used.

You should also get an opening cap for the end of the rail.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #7

Attached pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Installing my simple railing (picture inside)-000_0296.jpg   Installing my simple railing (picture inside)-000_0300.jpg  
Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #8

Is it easier to use a quarter turn piece rather than secure the handrails together with a simple 45?
You trim the corner turn rather than the handrail?
Connector for an intermediate newell? Does it look like this?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #9

The spindles do not support the rail (newell posts do) and the rail holds the spindles in place. I looked at your picture again, you need a corner newell or two set back from each side of the corner. The outside (inside to your room) of a mitered corner is sharp. Miter joints are also one of the weakest connections and the rail bolts you pictured will probably go through the rail.

The top connectors I used, had one end straight cut and the other at a 45 angle. I trimmed the 45 off and also cut the rails to length.

The intermediate (middle) newell I was refering to is the one on the left of my first picture.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #10

thanks 47 47

i am not using a corner newel, instead I am going to use a corner turn for the handrail and place a baluster under it as the corner.
Do you think this will be fine?

Since my runs are small (6 feet and 3 feet) I am planning on using a newel where the stairs are and a half newel against the wall on the 3 foot run.

How should I anchor my half newel? It happens to be right in the middle of a stud bay. Is the following my only option? I just had my plcae rocked and painted.

"Cut a hole in the sheetrock big enough to put something in between the studs close to the top of the newel. Once the deadwood is nailed in, replace the sheetrock, and patch. Then mount the newel in place."

Last edited by jelly; 07-18-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly View Post
How should I anchor my half newel?
"Cut a hole in the sheetrock big enough to put something in between the studs close to the top of the newel. Once the deadwood is nailed in, replace the sheetrock, and patch. Then mount the newel in place."
I'd put a solid blocking near the bottom and where the rail meets the 1/2 newel, as you described.
Even though your rails are only 6' and 3' long, you have 9 feet between supports. Rails should be decorative, but most importantly structural. I'd install a corner newel. The turn you pictured may not be wide enough over a newel.
Added: don't forget an opening cap.

Last edited by 47_47; 07-21-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote