Installing Lattice As Privacy Screen - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

installing lattice as privacy screen

Hi everyone, First post for me. I want to install tight weave lattice along one side of my deck for privacy and was wondering what would be the best way to install (appearance and strengthwise).The deck is 16' long and has the usual deck top rail (2 X 6) Clearance from the top rail to the bottom of my awning is 36".

Advertisement

VirginiaBlueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBlueyes View Post
Hi everyone, First post for me. I want to install tight weave lattice along one side of my deck for privacy and was wondering what would be the best way to install (appearance and strengthwise).The deck is 16' long and has the usual deck top rail (2 X 6) Clearance from the top rail to the bottom of my awning is 36".
What, if any wind issues do you have? Dead calm or light beeezes you can build a 2x4 support system 4' on center. Horizontal on the deck railing. Another under the awning and verticals at 4' intervals.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Post a picture of what you have----Wind will push HARD in the screen---Existing railings need to be strong enough or the screen part may need to be built on its own posts.--Mike---
Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hello. This is my first post, too. A really strong, and also attractive way to do this is to make wood "frames" (cedar worked well for me) and insert the lattice into the frames. Then attach the frames to your structure.
Michael Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Allen For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-22-2011)