Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

installing laminate countertops & repainting cabinets

Ok I really need input on this subject.

1. My cabinets where painted when I moved in. They are a off white/cream color. I want to paint them brown. Will I have to sand them to repaint, or can I just paint over the existing paint? There seems to only be one layer of paint.

2. I will also be removing the countertops and sink. I plan on just using a laminate, but I have no clue how to install it.

3. I am thinking of getting a farmhouse stainless steal sink, because I think they look good, and it would save me the trouble of trying to cut out the hole for the sink and fixtures. I know I will have to build some kind of support in the cabinet to hold the new sink, but I'm not sure how to go about that either.

I am new to DIY, but I'm pretty handy, hopefully we can do this ourselves. Any advice will be great appreciated.

Thanks
Shona

shocanfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocanfixit View Post
Ok I really need input on this subject. PLEASE!

1. My cabinets where painted when I moved in. They are a off white/cream color. I want to paint them brown. Will I have to sand them to repaint, or can I just paint over the existing paint? There seems to only be one layer of paint.

Clean them first, then lightly scuff sand to dull them a bit. I would use an oil finish on cabinets, the finish looks much nicer, they dont look "painted" so to speak.

Have you thought about antiquing the cabinets? All you need is a dark Gel stain. Brush it on, and wipe off. It will darken the color slightly making it look aged. Also, the stain will take darker in all the cracks and crevasses.

2. I will also be removing the countertops and sink. I plan on just using a laminate, but I have no clue how to install it.

Worry about the cabinets first, maybe check around depending on how much you need, you may be able to get some granite remnants at a good price

3. I am thinking of getting a farmhouse stainless steal sink, because I think they look good, and it would save me the trouble of trying to cut out the hole for the sink and fixtures. I know I will have to build some kind of support in the cabinet to hold the new sink, but I'm not sure how to go about that either.

I dont like this idea, but thats just my opinion. Id go with a drop in sink if you go laminate, under mount if you get granite.

I am new to DIY, but I'm pretty handy, hopefully we can do this ourselves. Any advice will be great appreciated.

Thanks
Shona

Good Luck

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Shona,

A good paint job depends on a good prep job. If the existing paint was prepped and applied well enough, you should be able to go over it. You may not have to scrape the cabinets down to the wood, but you may have to sand them enough to "abraid" the existing finish so that the new paint will stick to the old paint. Also know that many (most) kitchen cabinets have the paint applied with a sprayer, and a brush or roller job may not end up looking quite so good.

There are quite a few small steps and tricks to installing laminate counter tops. And I really can't type. I am pretty sure you will find a few step by step tutorials and possibly some videos online if you look.

If you are serious about DIY, you are going to become familiar with sites like Fine Home Building. Consider that the cost of an online subscription is less than a gallon of pricey paint or a fraction of a contractor billed hourly rate.

The sink installation is hard to direct without pictures. Usually the cabinet walls/framing and counter is adequate to support a sink. If not, I suppose you would find a way to reinforce the cabinet walls and counter top. Stainless sinks are usually not heavy either.

Have fun with it.

Rory
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Any reason you posted the same thing twice, within 4 minutes?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

It was obviously a mistake, and because I am using an app on my phone, I haven't figured out how to delete one.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocanfixit View Post
It was obviously a mistake, and because I am using an app on my phone, I haven't figured out how to delete one.
When you make a mistake like that. Simply use the report post button, and let us know, and we will delete it.

I already deleted the 5 duplicates of this thread/topic. And moved the responses you had in them to here. Please don't make duplicte threads about the same topic across the forums, Thank you.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Read
Shona,

A good paint job depends on a good prep job. If the existing paint was prepped and applied well enough, you should be able to go over it. You may not have to scrape the cabinets down to the wood, but you may have to sand them enough to "abraid" the existing finish so that the new paint will stick to the old paint. Also know that many (most) kitchen cabinets have the paint applied with a sprayer, and a brush or roller job may not end up looking quite so good.

There are quite a few small steps and tricks to installing laminate counter tops. And I really can't type. I am pretty sure you will find a few step by step tutorials and possibly some videos online if you look.

If you are serious about DIY, you are going to become familiar with sites like Fine Home Building. Consider that the cost of an online subscription is less than a gallon of pricey paint or a fraction of a contractor billed hourly rate.

The sink installation is hard to direct without pictures. Usually the cabinet walls/framing and counter is adequate to support a sink. If not, I suppose you would find a way to reinforce the cabinet walls and counter top. Stainless sinks are usually not heavy either.

Have fun with it.

Rory
Thank you so much!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

+1 to what ^ he said.

ehoez is offline   Reply With Quote