Installing An Interior Picture Window In A 7" Deep Opening - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Installing an interior picture window in a 7" deep opening

Hi,
I am building a wine cellar and need to install a picture window that is designed for 2X4 framing into a 7" deep wall (2 2X4 walls side by side with the rough opening cut into both). Below is a picture of the window that will be installed. I will either center it in the depth of the opening or make flush with the inside of the wine cellar leaving more depth on the outside of the window. Either way I am wondering what the best way will be to secure the window in place and also what to put in the extra space that's left over depth wise around the window? I appreciate any suggestions and help.

Window:

Advertisement

barlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Build the wall from 2 x 8 that would be the easiest or just frame the openning with 2 x 8.

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Build the wall from 2 x 8 that would be the easiest or just frame the openning with 2 x 8.
Thanks, the 2X4 wall is already in place and I'm trying to make it easier by just putting another next to it instead of having to tear it out and start fresh with 2X8.

I'm wondering more about the window installation than how to frame the opening. Maybe I have posted this in the wrong forum? If so, sorry. I can move it if needed? Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Experienced

It may look peculiar, but just frame the openning with 2 x 8 the will cover window to the outside or inside edge depending on how you mount the window.

Mark
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I'd definitely mount it to one side and make jamb extensions for the other.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #6

If the window has flanges, mount it to the outside of the wall as it would be on the house exterior.
Otherwise you can mount it to the inside or to the outside. Just put the wall material on first as the window should be flush to the wall material so the trim can be installed properly.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help. The window doesn't have flanges or anything in the frame that would allow mounting it to anything.

My plan is to shim the window in place in the rough opening. The window is only 3 1/2" deep and it's going into an 8" deep opening (incuding drywall) so I am planning on having the window recessed on both sides a bit. Then fill the gaps with minimal expanding foam and then trim around the window out to the finished wall on all sides front and back with something thick enough to cover the gaps and then add some casing around the outside on both the front and back.

Does this sound like it will work? I haven't done anything like this before. It seems like a good plan but I really have no idea.

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlav View Post
Thanks for all the help. The window doesn't have flanges or anything in the frame that would allow mounting it to anything.

My plan is to shim the window in place in the rough opening. The window is only 3 1/2" deep and it's going into an 8" deep opening (incuding drywall) so I am planning on having the window recessed on both sides a bit. Then fill the gaps with minimal expanding foam and then trim around the window out to the finished wall on all sides front and back with something thick enough to cover the gaps and then add some casing around the outside on both the front and back.

Does this sound like it will work? I haven't done anything like this before. It seems like a good plan but I really have no idea.

Thanks again!
It's totally a personal preference decision. You can set it into the opening in various positions and confirm which way you want to go.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote