Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Installing hardwood floors

Hey guys, I went and ordered my wood floors, 1000sq feet! They will be delivered on Sunday. Do I have to keep the floors in the house for a few days before installing? Also since I am not living in the house yet, I have the thermostat set to 45 degrees, so it has to go below 45 for the furnace to kick on. Should I raise the temperture, or should this be okay? Don't want the floor warping on me, Thanks guys for all your help.

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Hey guys, I went and ordered my wood floors, 1000sq feet! They will be delivered on Sunday. Do I have to keep the floors in the house for a few days before installing? Also since I am not living in the house yet, I have the thermostat set to 45 degrees, so it has to go below 45 for the furnace to kick on. Should I raise the temperture, or should this be okay? Don't want the floor warping on me, Thanks guys for all your help.
Typically 48 hours is a minimum to acclimate hardwood flooring.

There are other factors that can affect acclimation. See the link below:

http://www.woodfloorsonline.com/tech...oodwater3.html

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #3

Wow, I didn't know that painting wall would create moisture problems on the wood floors! I guess I am going to have to hold back on the shipping. I need to get some rooms painted, I grab the floor because I got a good deal on prefinished floor since I purchashed a pallet. Thanks Atlantic West for the good info, so I think its a good idea I finish the painting before the floor is delivered! I figure I could store it at the house in one corner till the painting was done.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Keep in mind just bringing the boxes into the house may not be enough. You should open up the boxes, and ideally, start laying out the wood boards.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #5

Thanks handyman, I definately plan on doing that a few days before install. I just got to much things going on in the house and don't want the floor to get ruin. Thanks again
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #6

The quickest way to put in that floor is to lay out the boards in a pattern that looks good. You don't want to nail in a board, go over to the box, and then pick another board. Most professionals have two guys working at one time. First guy is pulling the board in with his foot and nailing, while the other guy is busy cutting and laying out.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #7

Thanks Handyman for the good info, how many nails per board? I know a gap of at least a 1/4 , or 1/2 inc has to be left on the sides of the walls.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

I lke to have all the wet trades done and out of the house, i.e. tile guys, painting, any brick or stone work. Then I want the house to have either heat or air conditioining for at least 2 weeks prior to having the wood brought into the house. I then like to have the flooring brought in and opened up as mentioned for at least one week preferably two weeks before installation. This allows the wood to become acclimated and will give you no problems down the road. You also need to keep in mind that before, during and after installation the house needs to be kept at a constant 45% relative humidity to keep the floor from shrinking or buckling.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #9

Thanks Big Dave
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Thanks Handyman for the good info, how many nails per board? I know a gap of at least a 1/4 , or 1/2 inc has to be left on the sides of the walls.
just do not do my rookie mistake of holding the trim back 1/2 inch where your door trim comes down to the floor some colonial trim do not cover that big of a spacing when it is vertical
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #11

Every 6 - 8 inches should work.