Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing fiberglass columns

We are building a new deck on our house with a permanent roof. We have fluted columns on the house already and want to keep this look on our new deck. What I am unsure of is how to install these columns with the new construction. All installation instructions I have found are for replacing existing columns or posts on roofs that are already in place. Must I build the roof with temporary supports then install the columns after? I must say I am not thrilled with that idea. If there are any experienced people with solid advice on how I should proceed (doing it myself) I would love to hear from you.

dudical-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can buy spun fiberglass columns either whole or split in half. The split ones can go around wood or steel framing members, and are not typically structural columns since they wrap the bearing member.

Solid fiberglass columns can be incredibly strong, and many are capable of holding thousands of pounds of load. Once they're installed, provided they're rated for bearing, there's no reason to support the roof with something else. Uplift of covered deck roofs is an issue that may come up for you, and the column offers nothing to resist that uplift.

I'm not 100% clear on what your question is, so anything you can do to clarify might help you get the exact answer you need.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for replying. My specific question is how do I install these columns as we are framing in the roof for the deck? As stated earlier, the only instructions I could find dealt with putting columns in after the roof was on, not as it was being built new. We want to be able to have them in place to support the girder, rafters, and sheeting as we go along.
dudical-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

90% of porch roof construction is built off temporary posts Double 2X's and then the posts are cut and installed.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you're using STRUCTURAL SPUN FIBERGLASS COLUMNS, there's no reason you can't install them as your bearing post (or around your bearing post if applicable) as you go along. They certainly make columns capable of taking the load.

The most common mistake I see with this type of column is that people do not load them concentrically. That means that the beams or headers that sit on top of them land right in the middle of their top, and not off to one side. If they are not concentrically loaded, their capacity is greatly reduced.

Like Bob said, it is also common practice to use temporary supports during framing.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote