Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Share |

Installing fiber cement siding over existing siding

I have existing tongue and groove type 5/8" wood siding. There may not be any felt paper underneath as the house is 60 years old. I was thinking i could put new felt over the T&G and put the new fiber cement siding on top of that. Basically using the old siding as my shear wall and avoiding a tear-off. I was also going to remove the bottom strip of existing siding just to inspect for rot where all my studs are sitting on the sill plate.And if there is rot abating the rot and repairing the studs/sill where needed and replacing with new plywood. Also i live in a temperate climate. No freezing in the winter or sweltering heat in the summer. Does that sound like a good plan?

elsobrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #2

I don't like the idea of installing any new siding over old siding. It makes finishing around opening look bad. And with the old siding removed, you can see any areas that need repair and properly wrap with a moisture barrier. There should be sheathing under the old siding, if not, do that also.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
BIGRED

All of what 'Just Bill' said plus... if your home is 60+ years old it probably lacks insulation; it probably has out-of-date wiring, and may have other code problems that could be fixed by removing the old siding and inspecting one wall at a time.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #4

All 3 older houses that I have resided I have found some ant nests under the siding
Good idea to strip it down to the sheathing
I've also added insulation in a few areas
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #5

I am looking at doing the same project..

When old siding is removed, is the existing sheathing looks to be acceptable, would there be any reason to remove the old T&G to replace it with something more modern such as OSB or plywood? (I do have blown in wall insulation so I am guessing I dont want to mess with my original sheathing.

(I already also have all current wiring, everything was re-wired recently)

Thanks!
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Older T&G has more spaces & allows more air infiltration
That said I did not replace it on my house before siding
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #7

is air infiltration a good thing? seems like it would become problematic and cause more drafts in a house, maybe it helps with any possible moisture problems though??

just trying to think if your comment was pro or anti T&G
Old 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Mod

I have no problem with plan assuming your existing siding is in decent shape and the walls are smooth and you’re installing all new trim, flashings, etc.

I’d blow in insulation if you have none.

Post a picture if you can so I can change my mind.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-03-2010 at 02:57 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
BIGRED

On older homes that were not covered with a vapor barrier inside under the lathe or drywall or covered with a vapor barrier outside under the siding it is best to follow the 1x6 or 8 or 10 or 12 sheathing route after checking out your wall interiors. The sheathing spacing allows the wall to breathe and helps curtail any moisture problem in the older homes. When you go Hi tech with all the newer insulations, 4x8 osb plywood sheathing, Tyvek vapor barriers, etc. you are trying to make your building air-tight to squeeze an extra nickel out of your HVAC budget. The old way or the new way both work well and if your building is older and has ample insulation do like Scuba Dave says. He's spot on.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #10

uuuggg,tyvek is no vapor barrier
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
KemoSabe

If it were my house, I'd make sure the siding is solid, nail it off well to the framing to insure a positive connection, paper it with #30 asphalt saturated felt, pack out the window trim, if needed and wrap them with trim coil, incorporating a flashing detail into the wrap. Side away. Water management is paramount on a siding job and starts at the substrate level, not with the siding, but needs to be incorporated into the siding for proper function.

Did I miss anything Tom?
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #12

show off
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #13

what does pack out the window trim mean?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #14

My existing siding is in good condition. I just hate the way it looks and like the classic lap siding look. As long as my spot checks don't reveal mold or rot i was planning on all new trim and flashings. What does pack out the trim mean?
Thanks for all the replies.
elsobrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsobrider View Post
My existing siding is in good condition. I just hate the way it looks and like the classic lap siding look. As long as my spot checks don't reveal mold or rot i was planning on all new trim and flashings. What does pack out the trim mean?
Thanks for all the replies.
If you're going over the old siding, the windows may not project out far enough to receive your siding cleanly. In which case you will need to do something to thicken, or pack out, the jamb, head and sill areas to bring them out far enough. Depending on what your old windows look like, there are several solutions that come to mind.

If they are older style windows, after they are packed out, they should be wrapped with trim coil and sealed properly to prevent water intrusion.

There are other trim details that can be incorporated into newer style windows to achieve proper thickness as well.

loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote