Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

installing door slab.

Hello, I'm thinking about installing new interior door slabs. I've found some great info on this site as well as on the net. One thing I haven't found, tho, is the answer to this question: If the door slab is out of square, is there any way that someone can recommend to me to cut the door slab? I do know if the door slab is perfectly square all I have to do is measure and divide by 2 and then cut off that amount on each side, and with the guide that comes with my skill saw I just keep that guide pressed against the side of the slab and I get a good cut. But, if the slab is out of square can anyone recommend a way to cut the a side or top or bottom at a slight angle? I was hoping there might be some other way besides having to use a table saw. thanksss
joefromcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
DIY staff

installing door slab.

Tell me more about what you are trying to do.

I install door slabs to replace existing old doors. Is that what you are doing?
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

installing door slab.

hello Oh'Mike,
What I'm wanting to do is replace my interior door slabs. Instead of buying the prehung I'm going to just buy the slab replacement, in this case a 80"by30" slab. I'll unscrew an old door slab from its hinges and measure it and cut the new slab so that it's identical in size to the old one. In other words, I'll be using each door slab i'm replacing as a template for the new door slab. Most of my door slabs seem to be rectangular and all the angles are then 90 degrees. In these cases, when I cut the new slab to match the old slab the new cuts will also be square and the angle of all the corners will be 90 degrees. However, a few of my door slabs have sides that are not parallel. They're slightly off. I guess because the door jambs or the framing wasn't perfect to begin with. I can measure how much I need to cut from the old slab but when I use the circular saw in these cases I can't follow the saw guide that you run along the outer edge of the new slab because otherwise I'll end up with a 90 degree cut. My cut might have to be, let's say, at a 89.9 degrees angle. I can use a pencil to draw a line on the new slab but I was wondering if there was any way to clamp something down on the new door slab along the length I'm going to trim so I can cut a little off 90 degrees and still end up with a straight cut. thankkkss.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #4

installing door slab.

I think I finally found what I was looking for on the net. I wasn't using the right words. I see I can make a "straight edge guide" out of wood in which a long piece of wood is joined to a flat surface (which is clamped onto the door slab I want to cut) and the foot of the circular saw is pressed against that piece of wood as I rip across the door slab. So If I want to cut at a slight angle then I just move the guide accordingly. thankksss
Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 AM   #5

installing door slab.

It is likely that the old door was planed as needed to make it fit. What you might come across is an edge that is not straight. So using the old door as a template might not be a bad idea, but using a straightedge and circular saw may not get the result you need. I would suggest a portable power planer. You can use it to form dips in the outline of the door, to match a curved scribe, without much more finishing later.(A circular saw can leave a nasty edge)
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
Tool Geek

installing door slab.

Joe, Take care when using old doors as a template
Old door may have an uneven or too wide a gap on the lock stile. The top gap can be uneven because of the structure settling over the years. The bottom gap may be too high for the present carpet. The ideal gap for top and sides is the thickness of a nickel.

The other consideration is important in that if you lay the old door on the new door and scribe a line around the perimeter then the new door will be OFF by the amount of the bevel on the lock stile of the old door. The bevel on a 30" door is also greater than on a wider door.
Attached Thumbnails
installing door slab.-door-scribe-error.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 11-16-2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #7

installing door slab.

CustomBuild & PaliBob,
Thank you both for the excellent info. I must admit I hadn't thought about either of those issue, but I will now. Thanks again
Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #8

installing door slab.

Hello, I finally finished replacing the door slabs in my house. 2 had already been done but I did the remaining 8. It was a lot of work and I also patched, cleaned, deglossed, spot primered, and painted my door jambs. After that I cleaned my new door slabs, spot primered them where there were marks etc. on the original primer. Then I painted them. They came out looking very nice. I want to thank everyone who gave me advice on this thread. Thanks again, Joe
Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
Tool Geek

Thumbs up

installing door slab.

Congratulations Joe,
You are now a certified DIY Door Hanger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
DIY staff

installing door slab.

Very good!!! Add butt cutting and lockset drilling to your list of skills!--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door slab, installation