Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #1

Share |

Installing curtain/drape rod in drywall/concrete block

Just thought that I would post this in here. I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread.

A new house that I have purchased has three sliding glass doors. The walls are concrete block, with 3/4" furring strips and then 1/2" drywall.

I need to install curtain rods over all three, each with a length of 88". The center support should be fine, as there is a 4" piece of furring directly over the door (I went in and took pictures during framing). However, each end is going to be over the drywall. I can certainly try to hit the furring strip, drill through that into the concrete with a tapcon. However, I can't be certain that they are centered correctly on each side of the opening. If not, will the 3/4" gap between the drywall and the concrete be any cause for concern since there is no support? I dont want to crank down on the tapcon and cave in the drywall.

I hope that makes sense.

I feel a tapcon will offer the best strength (the only other option that I can think of is the e-z anchor), but I'm not sure how to move forward with no support behind the drywall.

If the top furring strips went all the way across, I would be a happy camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing curtain/drape rod in drywall/concrete block-dscn1793.jpg  
JRiegler is offline   Reply With Quote