DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing closet doors into un-true opening - Need ideas

11K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MT Stringer 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I plan on putting in sliding bi-fold doors into an opening that does not have jamb or a frame (it's just a wall-to-wall opening) but I've never done this before so I would like to bounce some ideas off somebody before I commit the $300 on doors only to find out that this won't work.

I am installing hollow core doors into an opening that measures:

Top of opening : 68 1/2"
Middle of opening : 69"
Bottom of opening : 69 1/4"

I'm thinking of cutting the doors to 68 3/16" and covering the gap that will be against the wall with maybe a quarter round, but I am not sure as to whether or not that will restrict the doors from opening. also, how does the floor trim affect the operation of the doors? can I have the trim run between the wall and the door? or will this affect the doors operation?

I know Ideally I should have a framed opening, but I don't really have the time, cash or sanity to do that right now. If I can avoid turning this from a simple closet door job into a drywall and door framing job then I would very much like to do that.

Anyone have any experience with hollow core bi-fold doors that could offer advice?

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Is it possible to frame out and install a jamb for the doors and then trim out the jamb?
How wide of an opening is it, and the height of the opening is 8 feet? Look at your picture. You'll need a level jamb on top for the track to mount to. And you need a place on the jamb area to mount the bracket for the bottom of the door so it can swivel.

Take another look at your photo. You need to be able to duplicate that installation with jambs and trim.
Good luck.
Mike

Edit: Pictures added.

Here are a few quick shots I took of the doors I installed in the bathroom.
Hope these help.

#7 ·
Is the opening already trimmed with molding? If not just add a piece of 1x4 to the top and use shims to get it level and then installing casing when you are finished. If the opening is already trimmed, use shims to get the top track level, and then you can add quarter round or similar material to the top edge. This will cover the shims and also cover the metal track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.