DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

installing a ceiling ladder

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jerry1967 
#1 ·
I would like to install a ceiling ladder where I have a opening in my ceiling. The ladder fits in perfect where I want it.
The ladder will run parrell to the joist The rough opening is 22 1/2 by 54. The problem I have is that there is a joist support board that runs perpendicular to the opening, right in the middle of where the ladder will fit. Can I cut the joist support board where it goes over the opening and still be save. Will the rest of the joist support board work in the rest of the ceiling or by cutting it will the make the ceiling weak?

#4 ·
Depends on how they are attached and you need to further your investigation as to what this board is accually doing. Follow it and take notes on everthing you see that is related to this board and is it just one board or lamined boards to make up a beam, is there more of them. Of course a picture would be worth a thousand words or a drawing of what you see up there.
Because I can't see what this board is doing a call to a local contractor may be just the ticket here.

#5 · (Edited)
the joist support board runs perpendicular to the joist, it is nailed to evey joist in the attic. I would like to cut out the part that goes over the opening for the attic ladder which is in the middle of the support board.Go the the web site below and then go to page 7 section 1.6 figure 9 and see the joist support boards. The only difference is my support board runs right over the opening. Can i cut it on both sides and not lose any support?

please go to this web site and go to page 7 section 1.6 figure 9
http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/...ic%20ladder%22

the board in my attic is only a 1x 4 laying flat across the top of the joist.

#6 ·
If all you are talking about is a 1x4 then it is a brase not a support board and is used when putting trusses or joists up to keep them tied in togeather and also to maintain the spacing evenly. Just add another one on each end of your new opening and let it span a couple of joists on either side and then cut out the one thats in the way.. It sounds like your going to be up there once in a while, probably for storing things and if so you might want to put a wider board you can stand or neel on.Pardon the crude drawing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.