Installing A Beam For A Deck - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing a beam for a deck

I am installing a 24 foot cantilever deck which will be supported by 4X4 posts placed approx 8 feet apart. How do I splice the beams to mount on top of the posts assuming I won't find 24 foot lengths to provide the 24 foot span?

Advertisement

Henkel51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkel51 View Post
I am installing a 24 foot cantilever deck which will be supported by 4X4 posts placed approx 8 feet apart. How do I splice the beams to mount on top of the posts assuming I won't find 24 foot lengths to provide the 24 foot span?
What is the beam make up? If you're using a double 2x ?, you would mount the beam over the 4x4 with special brackets connecting it to the 4x4. Personally I'd use 6x6 posts that were notched to receive the double 2x? material. Then bolt it through the remaining 6x6 piece.
The splices would occur at the posts.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I will give that a try.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

You did not say where you were located, so I don't know what code you are under. IRC, which is followed in many areas (my town included) requires a minimum post size of 6x6, and requires notching as indicated by Ron, or use of a post bracket if the beams go over the top. As you surmised, you are not likely to find 24 foot beam in solid lumber, although you can find Glulams in that length. Again, IRC requires PT lumber for joists and beams, and I don't think you are going to find PT Glulams in any standard lumber store.

Even if you are not subject to any codes, I strongly recommend you get a copy of the "Prescriptive Residential wood Deck Construction Guide" put out by the American Forest & Paper Association. It has descriptions and pictures of just about everything you would want to know about deck construction, including footings, posts, joists, beams, stairs, rails, and decking. My building inspector gave me a copy when I pulled my permit, very useful and well put together.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

Thanks, Daniel. Yes, I plan to get a copy of the manual you mentioned. I know I have codes to follow and that looks like a good resource. Thanks for sharing.