Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

installing basement door, maybe.

Installing odd size door in basement opening.. outside steps go down to a doorway that needs a new door.. the sizes are wacky (house 100 years old) I want to buy a metal door door from the De---. and cut it and the frame to fit ... what do you all think?? should I just buy a solid wood door? If I cut the metal door will it fall apart? Thanks.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
DIY staff

You can pull that off successfully if you can locate a door bottom repair piece---

It is an aluminum 'C' channel with a rubber sweep built into the bottom edge--1 3/8 wide as long as the doors bottom.

I used to get them at the Ace hardware,but I haven't had any luck finding them in a while.

Cutting and rebuilding the jambs and sill is not to difficult--steel door can be cut with a fine tooth paneling blade.---Lots of sparks--it will actually 'melt ' its way through--then add the door bottom repair channel----caulk well under the sill--that's it--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (09-18-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #3

I cut an aluminum door at my last house, although it was back door, anyway, the bottom channel came off, I could cut the door and fit the bottom back in place. Me, personally, I didn't like the looks of my cut, the bottom peice doesn't really hide anything,,,,,,, being that this is cellar door, you might not mind. and it helps if you are better carpenter then me......good luck
COLDIRON (09-19-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #4

I question putting a metal door in a basement of an old house, especially if you cut it and leave an exposed edge, as it will rust. Are you just cutting it for height or width as well? Why not get a solid core flush wood door and weatherstrip it?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote