Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

installed new bedrm door-hinges bind, 2" from closing

Installed four 30 x 80 doors, last door doesn't close and when viewed from within rm, the hinges pull from the jamb when door gets two " from closing. I cut the door top and sides so it fits, but when applied to hinges, it binds and hinges pull off door jamb. If I closed the door completely the hinges would pull out of jamb. How do I adjust to close the door in that I cut more into the jamb as to hinge spacing and no success????

This is an old beach house and new door, the other three doors fit perfect, no issues........

ecowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Mod

Did you mortis out for your own hinges?

Is the new hinge laying flat and flush with the jamb and door or is one side set in further than the other?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-10-2010 at 10:13 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

The hinge is flush with the jamb and I cut same into the door. I painted the door after the door was hung for 5 days without any problem as to opening and closing. The paint was a primer and applied to the other doors without inicident.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Mod

Well something is binding and 1 coat of primer won‘t do that. Close the door slowly when it starts to bind look up, down and all around until you can see were it’s binding then we can go from there.

You don’t have any kids performing circus tricks around there, do you?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #5

I'll take the door off and remove the hinges to determine if they have been bound for some reason as well as measure the hinge cuts into the jamb. I agree something is binding, but I do have three kids, all college age, and wished they did circus tricks that included doing house work like this project (Ha) Thanks for help. I let you know...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowarrior View Post
I'll take the door off and remove the hinges to determine if they have been bound for some reason as well as measure the hinge cuts into the jamb. I agree something is binding, but I do have three kids, all college age, and wished they did circus tricks that included doing house work like this project (Ha) Thanks for help. I let you know...
Try to see what’s binding with the door on.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #7

Chances are the door jamb legs are not parallel to each other.
The jamb leg needs to be 90 degrees to the inside face of the wall. I'll bet the door cripples are twisted or torqued so the jamb is 'open'.
Use a shim at each hinge location to twist the jamb leg of the hinge side to move towards the other jamb.

Let us know if your doors are fixed yet. thanks.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
Willie T (05-10-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #8

Upon return on Tuesday to the beach house from Sunday, the door closes fine without hinge binding. No shims or other work was done to correct the door. In reviewing the only other factor, being an environmental scientist, the humidity on the day that the door was painted with primer was 77 degrees. If the effect on the door was humidity, will this occur again and how to correct same to combat the door binding.

NOTE: If humidity was the cause, why not other doors? No other door, three others installed at same juncture, was impacted or had problem closing...... I admit I'm new at door installing, but the first three were installed without incident and alos on the 77 degree day. Help???
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #9

Are you saying the doors close fine some, sometimes they don' with no adjustment or changes done to them?

Quote:
NOTE: If humidity was the cause, why not other doors?
Did these doors come with their own jams? If so, did you prime all six sides of the new jams?Prime and paint all six sides of the doors?

Sounds like a very strange situation if the door is set straight in a straight and plun jam on a straight wall.

I was even to suggest maybe the hinges were installed backwards, but you say the doors started shutting correctly. I guess if the hinges were backward, there would be more tham a 2 gap. Btw, is tha gap even all the way along the door and its frame?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
ecowarrior (05-12-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #10

When you hang a door you should have about 3mm of gap on both sides and the top of the door. the door should be what we called backed off that is the edge of the door planned so that the inside edge has had more planned of it than the outside edge (the side the hinge pin protrudes) this allows the door to shut without binding and the stop for the door covers any extra gap if you are using old hinges make sure they have not been stretched
woodbutcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodbutcher01 For This Useful Post:
ecowarrior (05-12-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #11

I was thinking about this this morning. I think you should check the doorstop going aromd the jam. I'm thinking sorta like Woodbutcher here. I just can't see humidity causing a properly set door to act that way. I can maybe see it affecting doorstop mat that way. If the doorstop is too close, it would only take a very little swelling between it and the hinge side of the door to cause the door to not close.

Check the hinge side for any mark on the paint that might be left from the stop. I have a bthrm door with new jam and hardware I need to move the stop back just a little as sometimes I think I have it closed, but it will not be latched at the striker. Not a good situation!

If you closed the door then installed the stop right against it, or just placed it back from the edge of the jam the thickness of the door, I would say the stop is to close, if the backside of the door was not rounded off.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
ecowarrior (05-12-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I was thinking about this this morning. I think you should check the doorstop going aromd the jam. I'm thinking sorta like Woodbutcher here. I just can't see humidity causing a properly set door to act that way. I can maybe see it affecting doorstop mat that way. If the doorstop is too close, it would only take a very little swelling between it and the hinge side of the door to cause the door to not close.

Check the hinge side for any mark on the paint that might be left from the stop. I have a bthrm door with new jam and hardware I need to move the stop back just a little as sometimes I think I have it closed, but it will not be latched at the striker. Not a good situation!

If you closed the door then installed the stop right against it, or just placed it back from the edge of the jam the thickness of the door, I would say the stop is to close, if the backside of the door was not rounded off.
You should actually have a 1-2mm gap between your stop and door so that when it is painted it does not bind

woodbutcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodbutcher01 For This Useful Post:
ecowarrior (05-12-2010)