Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Share |

Input on which doors to replace interior & exterior door with...

Current project is to replace 8 interior doors and 3 exterior doors. The house was built in 1955 so as you can imagine the doors are original and probably not fully plumbed frames. Wear and tear around jambs.

I'm debating over a couple things and wanted some input.

- Replace all interior and exterior doors with new prehung doors, doors only, or a mixture of the two. Cost about $700 more to go with all prehung doors.

- For the exterior, can't decide if pine or composite is worth it for framing. Cost about $170 more to get all doors in composite

- For interior, is solid core really necessary or is hollow core sufficient since house has hardwood floors. Cost about $380 more to get all prehung interior doors as solid core.

Last edited by tomas21; 09-09-2009 at 11:35 AM.
tomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

Where are you located? How exposed are the experior doors. A more weather resiliant door is a good idea in snow and rain areas.

As part of a major remodel I recently changed all the interior doors of our house, one exterior door, and added a new exterior door. I went with fiberglass externior doors as a compromise between cost and quality/longevity. For the interior went with hollow core slabs, with the exception of the fire rated door to the attached garage.

For interior doors, if the current door jambs are in decent shape, it can be easier and cheaper to use slab doors rather than prehung. Do buy all new hings though, as the old are often with several coats of paint over the years.

Hollow core interior doors are ok, nothing wrong with them if you buy a decently made door.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Where are you located? How exposed are the experior doors. A more weather resiliant door is a good idea in snow and rain areas.

As part of a major remodel I recently changed all the interior doors of our house, one exterior door, and added a new exterior door. I went with fiberglass externior doors as a compromise between cost and quality/longevity. For the interior went with hollow core slabs, with the exception of the fire rated door to the attached garage.

For interior doors, if the current door jambs are in decent shape, it can be easier and cheaper to use slab doors rather than prehung. Do buy all new hings though, as the old are often with several coats of paint over the years.

Hollow core interior doors are ok, nothing wrong with them if you buy a decently made door.
Located in Southern California.

For the exterior we have been looking at Plastpro and for the interior TM Cobb Colonist smooth skin.

Just having a difficult time deciding over prehung or slab only.

Last edited by tomas21; 09-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Tool Geek

My house, also in So Cal, was built in 54. Back then Pre-Hung doors were rare, so most homes had site-built jambs and the doors were hung on-site. I say this because installing Pre-Hungs in an old house can be more difficult than just popping out the old jambs and popping in the new.

Measure your existing doors to get the exact measurements, three places across the width, and two places on the height. If the measurements vary more than 1/2" from the standard width and height then the new Pre-Hung will not pop-in but require either modifying the rough opening or the door depending on the variance.

Sure the rough opening should be plumb and a "Standard" size for a given door, but since the doors would be hung on-site anyway, the original builder didn't spend any extra time getting the rough opening just right.

Besides that you get a much better selection with doors that are not Pre-Hung.

PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #5

Just to add with Bob's comments, measure the width of the jamb. You may wind up needing a split jamb.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #6

Depends, have more time than money? If so, then the slab route is the way to go. Or you want to practice your hinge installation skills. If it's a customers house then I try to talk them into pre-hung, for me it's faster.
Our house was built in 1958, I decided to go the slab route. Most of the interior doors were 29 3/4", which meant cutting the slab down a 1/4". I also have hardwood floors and birch hollow core doors. I see nothing wrong with that. My exterior doors are fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Input on which doors to replace interior & exterior door with...-100_1010.jpg  
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #7

I'm actually going to hire someone to do this for us since we are too busy with our little one.

Just can't wrap my head around it if we should go with all new pre-hung interior and exterior, pre-hung exterior and slab for interior, or all slab. We just had our hardwood floors refinished and after the doors are done plan to repaint the interior and put in baseboard. There is no baseboard and the trims around the interior doors is very narrow and minor wear and tear. Exterior door frames have some more wear and tear around stops and places where the previous owners notched out slots that we never used in frame.

Bedrooms have been completed repainted and have existed baseboard so if we do go the pre-hung route interior there will need to be some touch-up work done in the bedrooms.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas21 View Post
... if we should go with all new pre-hung interior and exterior, pre-hung exterior and slab for interior, or all slab.........
tomas, First of all I would eliminate all Slab and do my best to eliminate any Slab. Even the sound of the word does not conjure up a pleasant image. Take a look at the front doors in the neighborhood and imagine your front door as a Slab. Is that the look you want?

Second, You are going to farm this job out so the major expense may easily be the labor. Pick out the door style that you and your wife like then ask some door pro's what there opinion is of the arguments and then get some costs.

Notes:
  • You will get a better door selection with individual doors
  • Damaged painted door jambs can be restored to look new
Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #9

Hi Bob,

So am I hearing you correctly that you would go the pre-hung route or just replace each of the individual doors. When I say slab I'm referring to just replacing the door itself.

The door styles we want for interior & exterior come in both pre-hung or door only.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Tool Geek

Quote:
When I say slab I'm referring to just replacing the door itself.
Good news

Quote:
So am I hearing you correctly that you would go the pre-hung route or just replace each of the individual doors.
Personally I'd go for the individual doors. Door jambs can be made to look like new, but then with no pics, I shouldn't judge.

The more important issue is what does an experienced door hanger (not a salesman) think when they look at your doors because the choice will affect the cost.

Tomas you don't want to be in the position where you make the decision (either way) then call in a Pro Doorhanger and have them say the doors you bought were the wrong decision.

You need a Pro that has hung hundreds of remodel doors not an installer or a carpenter with minimal experience. Ask him if he brings his own Door Bench to the job. If he says sawhorses are all he needs, ask him what kind of Door Buck he uses?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #11

Well we finally decided to go with prehung exterior and just replacing the interior since our jambs are in job stape..

We are now in the process of picking a hardware mfg but there are a ton of choices.

Were leaning towards Emtek just based on recommendation but Im curious to hear what everyone else is using based on experience etc.

For vendors to save on cost due to economic conditions I have found a couple vendors that a few have recommended (lockhouse, handlesets, and Simpsonshardware)

Input and feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #12

Hi Bob,

It has been a while but yes we are still trying to get our doors installed. We have finally decided on a style and approach (All prehung fiberglass for exterior and all 6 panel doors only for interior - use existing frames). We found a carpenter that we like and will be moving forward with him shortly.

My question to you is if we have a stucco house what is a preferred way to repair the stucco once the new exterior prehung doors are put in? There will obviously be some stucco that needs repair with the installation of the new exterior doors.

My thinking was to go with some exterior molding to hide where the stucco may have been damaged versus patching stucco up to prehung door frame with no molding. I have heard that where stucco is patched around the door can get a nice crack over time unless a jagged stucco repair approach is done.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on this idea.

Thanks,
Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
Good news

Personally I'd go for the individual doors. Door jambs can be made to look like new, but then with no pics, I shouldn't judge.

The more important issue is what does an experienced door hanger (not a salesman) think when they look at your doors because the choice will affect the cost.

Tomas you don't want to be in the position where you make the decision (either way) then call in a Pro Doorhanger and have them say the doors you bought were the wrong decision.

You need a Pro that has hung hundreds of remodel doors not an installer or a carpenter with minimal experience. Ask him if he brings his own Door Bench to the job. If he says sawhorses are all he needs, ask him what kind of Door Buck he uses?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
Tool Geek

Tom, I would patch the stucco rather covering damaged stucco with trim.
You have to be sensitive to any path where water can get in around the door opening. Water is the killer and caulk is not a good barrier. By covering damaged stucco with trim you will guarantee an opening for water. A rainscreen approach where it is assumed that water will get behind the outer layers and must have a path where it can escape before it gets to the framing is far superior than trying to put a barrier (caulk) in the waters path.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #14

Thanks Bob. Do you know of a product used for retro ext pre-hung installation that incorporates a rainscreen?