Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Indoor Loft Project

I'm planning to put a small 7'x10' mezzanine type loft in our bedroom.
It will be mounted to the wall on 3 sides, two 7' sides mounted, one 10' side mounted. (see picture)

I plan on installing a 2"x8" ledger board along each side and placing another 2"x8" board against that, so that the full loft would have a frame of two 2"x8" boards.

For Joist I would mount 2"x8"x10' boards to the frame, using joist hangers, to span between the two supported sides across the longest direction.

Questions:
1)Can I simply attach the ledger board to the existing studs through the drywall, or do I need to cut out the drywall? I've heard no, and would love to not mess with the drywall.
2)Do I need any cross braces between joist in the middle of the 10 ft span?
3)Does this sounds safe? I really don't want to hurt myself.
4)How many joists? Every 1 ft or 1.5 ft?
5)Are 2"X8"s adequate? Can I get away with S-P-F lumber, or do I need to go for Fir?

It's meant to be mostly a sleeping area for my girlfriend and myself, but kids may one day have sleep overs when we've left, so I can imagine a plausible scenario with 4 people up there.

Here's an image just to make it a little bit more clear, light line is current room, dark room is loft.

Any help will be much appreciated!

JJMardlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Indoor Loft Project

It's safe if you can build it correctly.
How high is the ceiling in this room?
What sort of clearance do you have above and below?
Access to the loft?
Railings?
What construction experience do you have?
You'll need to remove the sheetrock.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Indoor Loft Project

I've worked as a carpenter's assistant on outdoor balconies, very similar to what I'm doing here. There is plenty of clearance, 16 ft ceilings, and I'm not terribly worried about access, railing can be added.

My only real question is with the mounting. What size lag bolts would I require?
Why must I remove the sheetrock? I've actually seen very similar examples with the sheetrock left in.

John
JJMardlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Indoor Loft Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMardlin View Post
I've worked as a carpenter's assistant on outdoor balconies, very similar to what I'm doing here. There is plenty of clearance, 16 ft ceilings, and I'm not terribly worried about access, railing can be added.

My only real question is with the mounting. What size lag bolts would I require?
Why must I remove the sheetrock? I've actually seen very similar examples with the sheetrock left in.

John
You're allowing a space between the framing members with no holding power. The lag bolt is basically projecting from the wall with no support. Over time it would loosen.
Leaving the sheetrock up is not something I would do. And as for seeing it done elsewhere, I can't really address realistically. I've seen so many things that were so incredibly wrong in the construction field that their mere existance could never be an affirmation of good building practices.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote