Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Impact Windows & French Doors

Hello all, I am having all windows and sliders replaced with Impact resistant windows and french doors. I live in South Florida, and since I need new windows anyway, I decided to do Impact, instead of shutters.

Any suggestions for best manufacturer of window quality? Should I go with Low E or will the grey tint be enough to keep the house cool? Any definite questions I should have for the contractors? Any suggestions on contractors in this area that have done a great job for you?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matty16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #2

Can someone tell me the Pros and Cons of PGT Impact Resistant Windows vs Security Impact Resistant Windows??

Does anyone have experience with these different brands?

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #3

Hopefully someone knows...Impact windows are a coastal thing, so most folks on this site probably haven't dealt with them. I'm right in the middle of tornado alley and we never see impact resistant windows.

I don't know what qualifies a window as impact resistant. Perhaps some sort of laminate film security glass? Simple tempered glass is very, very impact resistant and is widely available from all manufacturers in basically any window offered, but I don't know how it compares to impact resistant windows. All glazing in all doors is always tempered from the factory. Very, very, very hard to break. But, you have to consider what you're trying to protect the window from...Flying shingles from the neighbor's roof, or flying cars?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Anderson makes a storm guard window for the coastal area there about 35-40% more. Simonton also makes a window for your area, and also have read on one of the other sites that they were being used down your way. Hope this helps. The kctermite was correct as to using a laminate in the glass, these windows must with stand an impact from a 2x4 hitting the glass at over 90 mph. If it was me I would also invest in storm shutters. Good luck BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #5

The new bldg codes down here say that the windows must withstand 140 flying debris. Pretty serious. Just curious if anyone has experience with TRACO Security Windows.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #6

This is REALLY LONG, but what the heck...

Impact rated windows are tested to specific air, water, and structural requirements, and they are required to successfully stop an 8', 9lb, 2x4 that is fired at the window at 50fps or 34mph either once or twice, or more times, depending on the test.

If the impact window is able to stop the 2x4 within specific guidelines, then the unit is subjected to 9000 high and low pressure cycles at up to 100% of the DP rating.

Air, water, structural is a three part test that determines much about a window's overall performance. Air infiltration is the first phase, water penetration is next, and structural is the third part of the test. The window must complete air, water, structural testing and then complete impact requirements as well in order to be considered an “impact” product.

Windows are tested for air infiltration simulating a 25mph wind or a 1.56PSF pressure load - air infiltration is treated separately from both water infiltration and structural and it is independent of the design pressure of the unit. Said again - the air infiltration rate in a window is not based on the design pressure rating of the unit.

Both water penetration and structural testing, on the other hand, are based on the window DP rating. Water infiltration is tested at 15% of the design pressure and structural is tested at 150% of DP rating.

What this means is that a window with a DP30 is tested for water infiltration at 4.5psf (15% of 30psf) while a window with a DP40 is tested at 6psf (15% of 40).

A window with a DP30 rating, for example, should be able to keep out rain when it’s driven by 42mph winds and a window with a DP40 should be able to keep out rain when driven by 49mph winds...so while water infiltration is DP related - and air infiltration is not - the nature of air and water infiltration is different.

The structural rating of a window is as much about the glass as it is about the frame and sash system. In order to get a higher DP rating the window manufacturer has to consider the thickness and possible heat-strengthening (or tempering) of the glass as well as the use of higher-end hardware and good quality sealants in the frame and sash system.

But, interestingly, there is nothing in the structural rating that specifically requires that the unit be air-tight. A window can leak air like a sieve and still achieve an excellent DP rating. Likewise a window that is sealed tightly can have a lower DP rating but excellent air infiltration numbers. Obviously there are also many units that have both excellent air infiltration numbers and a satisfactory DP rating (relating to both structural strength and water infiltration).

And if anyone is interested, the relationship between DP and windspeed is the ratios of the design pressures in psf are the square of the ratios of the wind-speeds in mph. I can show the actual (I am avoiding formulas, unless someone is actually interested in them).

However for comparison, a window with a DP30 is rated to a pressure level equivalent to a 110mph windspeed, but it is tested (for structural) at a pressure equivalent to 164mph and a window with a DP40 is rated to a pressure level equivalent to a 127mph windspeed, but it is tested (for structural) at a pressure equivalent to 190mph.

Impact (or “hurricane”) windows are made with laminated glass, upgraded hardware, upgraded frames and other components, and all sealed in place with some of the strongest silicone (or other) adhesives on the market.

Virtually all the major window manufacturers have impact products available. Some perform extremely well, others barely get by.

Laminated glass is simply two (or more) lites of glass bonded to a plastic interlayer for strength. Laminated glass is no stronger against breakage than is the glass it is made of. Let me say that again - laminated glass breaks as easily as the glass it is made of. I mention that because many folks have the mistaken impression that laminated glass / impact windows won’t easily break. They will break, but the glass adheres to the plastic interlayer and keeps the envelope of the home closed.

There are four major food groups in the impact glass world (a few other minor ones as well) relating to the interlayers or types of laminated glass used to manufacture impact windows.

First we have PVB or Polyvinyl Butyral. This is the stuff that is in the windshield of your car. It is relatively soft and very flexible, yet it is also tough and doesn’t tear easily. This is probably the most widely used product in the impact glass market since it does great when impacted. It stops whatever hits it and stretches to absorb the impact (such as a persons head in a car accident). PVB is a good product and is the choice for most manufacturers.

The second interlayer type is a hybrid of PVB with a layer of PET film between the PVB layers. This is a very tough product and it performs very nicely. This product is available from less manufacturers than standards PVB – although some window companies may offer both options.

The third type of interlayer is called SGP or Sentry Glass Plus. This is quite a bit different from PVB in that it is very stiff and very tough. It is becoming something of the product of choice in some of the toughest applications (including some bullet and bomb resistance applications). It is also a bit more expensive than PVB and may be overkill for some residential applications.

The fourth product line is the resin laminates – where a liquid resin is poured between two lites of glass and allowed to cure. I personally see liquid resin laminate as the “mom and pop shop” of laminated glass – although some larger manufacturers do use it. For the manufacturer it is cheap, it is easy, and it is an acceptable “mom and pop shop” product. Personally, I am not impressed with performance or longevity…my opinion only, but I wouldn’t use it in my house.

Most window manufacturers buy their laminated glass from a laminated glass manufacturer (which does make sense!), but a few laminate their own glass such as PGT (who was mentioned in an earlier post).

Windows used for impact applications are generally going to be rated to either Dade County (also known as TAS 201, TAS 202, and TAS 203), or to ASTM E1886 and E1996 protocols. Generally, if you live outside of Dade, Broward, or Palm Beach counties you will be seeing ASTM – which is referenced in the Florida building code.

ALWAYS get LowE glass. In your part of the country you want to look for a LowE with a low number SHGC (solar heat gain coefficient). Tinting is a good bit less effective at keeping your home cool than is a LowE coating. LowE coatings are available in impact products.

Last edited by oberon; 09-28-2008 at 01:34 PM.
oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #7

I am not an expert in impact windows or any window for that matter. So with that said, I had to do a lot of research. I was very impressed in the impact windows made by The Hurricane Window and Door Factory. I called the company to ask questions about there product and the owner of the company returned my call to answer all my questions. The window is made in Florida and the quality is unbelievable. If someone was shopping for hurricane windows, this company would be worth checking out. www.theprotectorseries.com

redlin is offline   Reply With Quote