DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   Identification and cutting of roof truss system for skylights? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/identification-cutting-roof-truss-system-skylights-80049/)

ChrisDIY 08-30-2010 01:25 PM

Identification and cutting of roof truss system for skylights?
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hello!

I believe the north half of my house was framed with engineered truss system. Can they be cut to allow install of a skylight? How about multiple skylights? I found this space above the shower when I did my demo. I would like to put a skylight above the shower to reduce the volume of space to within code. The plan would be to do the same thing in the adjacent bathroom so the spaces are no longer connected. The bathroom fan will need to be moved but this is the least of my worries.

Is it a realistic plan to cut joists, after knowing EXACTLY how its is to be done, frame it, up to the roof, decking then have skylight installer finish install? Then do my own drywall and finish? Is this beyond a non carpenter DIY guy?

ChrisDIY 08-30-2010 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this which will require cutting that center joist.

Gary in WA 08-30-2010 06:57 PM

Yes, those are trusses. NO, can not cut them.

Gary

Ron6519 08-30-2010 07:04 PM

I don't see any trusses, just engineered joists.
Ron

Scuba_Dave 08-30-2010 07:37 PM

Post a better pic of whats up in the attic for a rafter system
Could be engineered I-joists ?

Gary in WA 08-30-2010 07:50 PM

The first picture sure looks like a fink truss with the lower end web behind the white plumbing vent under the blown-in insulation....... Turn your head clockwise 20*, you're looking up through the ceiling. The osb rakes down to the left outside wall.

Gary

ChrisDIY 08-30-2010 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 493435)
Post a better pic of whats up in the attic for a rafter system
Could be engineered I-joists ?

This space is much larger than 30 sq. ft. length is somewhere between 18-23 ft. by 6-8 ft. So 108-184 sq. ft. :furious: In order to remedy a problem was hoping could break up with skylights...:surrender: If the space between trusses is greater than 16 o.c. which it looks like, have to get ladder in and actually measure. Can I or someone frame onto side of truss to make the channel? Can get as narrow as 14" x 45 skylight???

Gary in WA 08-30-2010 10:19 PM

If the trusses are 2' on center, (as they appear), install a skylight between two, as is the norm. It doesn't have to be centered in the room, just install the fan next to it.

"I would like to put a skylight above the shower to reduce the volume of space to within code." ---- Could you explain this more, please?

Gary

Tom Struble 08-30-2010 10:30 PM

skylites in the bathroom look so pretty in the pictures,but with the anount of possible condensation they can sometime be a real problem

ChrisDIY 09-02-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBR in WA (Post 493548)
If the trusses are 2' on center, (as they appear), install a skylight between two, as is the norm. It doesn't have to be centered in the room, just install the fan next to it.

"I would like to put a skylight above the shower to reduce the volume of space to within code." ---- Could you explain this more, please?

Gary

Unless I am misreading (don't have printed source, only online) any attic space larger than 30 sq. ft. needs access.

ChrisDIY 09-02-2010 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my framing plan since I need to provide support for drywall etc. I will need to do this 4 times along the space. Once over this bathroom and twice over center of adjacent bathroom and maybe the fourth over the new master shower, but very reluctant since this shower will get heavy use.

Attachment 24445

tomstruble can you go more in detail about condensation issues? On skylight or walls?

Planning on using this shower door.

Attachment 24446

Scuba_Dave 09-02-2010 08:59 AM

Hot steam/water vapor rises & will condense on the cooler surfaces
That will usually be the skylight
I take fairly long, hot showers at times & the water vapor condenses on every wall in my bathroom & the ceiling...no skylight

So even without a skylight you can have the condensation issue
A good fan will help get rid of the mositure
My bath fan is around 110 cfm, bathroom is round 330 cf
I have skylight in my 2nd floor bath
But we do not use the shower that much
I like the light in the bathroom

slickgt1 09-02-2010 09:55 AM

How about installing a velux suntunel? One, the deflector is far away from the bubble on the roof, so the deflector will stay at room temp., no condensation Two, you do not need to worry about the rafters. The tunnels are 14" wide at most. I can tell you from first hand experience that these give off so much light, that during the day, there is no point to turn on the lights in the bathroom.

Other option, leave the rafters, get a 48" skylight, decorate the rafters, and run sheetrock down and around them. I have done this too. 3 times in the last 2 years actually. Let me know if you want some pics.

ChrisDIY 09-02-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickgt1 (Post 494786)
How about installing a velux suntunel? One, the deflector is far away from the bubble on the roof, so the deflector will stay at room temp., no condensation Two, you do not need to worry about the rafters. The tunnels are 14" wide at most. I can tell you from first hand experience that these give off so much light, that during the day, there is no point to turn on the lights in the bathroom.

Other option, leave the rafters, get a 48" skylight, decorate the rafters, and run sheetrock down and around them. I have done this too. 3 times in the last 2 years actually. Let me know if you want some pics.

Can you attach sheetrock directly to trusses?

slickgt1 09-08-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawktah (Post 494812)
Can you attach sheetrock directly to trusses?

Yea why not. I've done it, and seen it done countless times.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.